Author Topic: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps  (Read 79864 times)

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:53 am »
Zozobra is Caleb from Cave In, and Clouds I believe is Adam.

Both are brilliant live.  Thanks so much for posting all of those!  RTTP is an amazing collection of pictures, but I find it takes forever to load.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2008, 02:25:15 am »
ISIS,

jeah, one of the best Bands at this very moment.  Saw them last year, they used a VHT Pitbull instead of the Model T's.

SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline Reeps

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »
Yea! I saw Zozobra last year and my head about crumbled, being 10 feet and ear level with those sunn's was one of the things that inspired me to get one! And Clouds are an incredible live band as well, those guys give it their all. Super cool guys too, it's all about the music for them.  Glad to see some fans of this type of stuff around here! The new clouds album just came out, and Zozobra is apparently releasing their new album July 12? I think? With Aaron Harris of ISIS on drums.

And RTTP does run quite slow... but with all the stuff on there I suppose it's understandable. A friend of mine in the Boston area told me about that site as he knows the guy who runs it, he does all the photography for free though, if I understood correctly, pretty cool! I tried to pass along the "get more gear shots!" comment :P

Offline HRobert

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 03:08:22 pm »
To the person that requested seeing a pic of Hendrix playing through a Model-T.  I don't think you'll see that unless it's a doctored picture.  I believe that Hendrix was dead before th Model -T was released.

To my knowledge, the only Sunn amp that Hendrix really liked was the old Coliseum PA head because it was 120 Watts, the other amps were the 60 Watt models and to him they weren't powerful enough.  He then went on to use Marshall.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
Here's a couple of Sunn ads I've never seen before today.

http://www.pappalardi.com/M19.html

What's up? Can't post pictures anymore?

Offline Johnny Guitar

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2008, 11:55:01 pm »
Cool pictures loudthud!!  They are similar to the Ad that was in my local music store when I was a teenager.  The Ad I've been looking for if I remember correctly had Mountain standing in front of a Wall of Sunn.  I'm not sure if they were even playing, but I remember drooling over this poster and wanting a Sunn amp more than anything!  I hope your friend has the one I remember.

Johnny G.

Offline Wally

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:51 pm »
Well, I've read through this entire thread. Great arguments. Some good observations.
Here is a youtube  piece.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?=ZFUUtGVsEOE&feature=related
...part of a tune from Mountain. Some people then and maybe some now think this is noise. I consider it rock music. And...the sound is a Gibson P-90 roaring through a bigass Sunn amp. I never personally experienced that sound until lately through a 1200S and a 6X12
turned WAY up with the mid boost in. Rock nirvana for that sound, imho. Louder 'n' hell.....lots of noise. Big tonal pallette.
Harmonics flying wildly.
One observation on the discussion. Somewhere in there someone referred to the job of a critic. A true critic sets their personal taste aside. Their job is to critique only what the aim of the artist is and how well the artist acheived that goal. The critic doesn't have to like the art at all. The critic does have to be honest. A critic who interjects personal taste into their work is being unfaithful to their job. Difficult job, that one.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2008, 04:33:27 pm »
  Definetion of the word critic;a guy who hangs around people with talent. Mel.

Offline Paul of the Bastards

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2009, 12:09:25 pm »
cult humour:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:57:58 pm by Paul of the Bastards »
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »
rant much?
what if you simply like sunn the band sunn the amps and sunn the sound?
banishment?
just askin
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but this thread has turned into a bunch of people jerking themselves off over their particular opinions of a band that other people may or may not like.

I dig them, and if they want a couple bottles of juice, beer, and wine after they get offstage, so be it. If people want to spend hundreds of dollars on merch at their shows, good for them. If you want to sneak in to a show, only to complain about everything after, then do it up.

They're making the most of their careers.  That isn't a crime, and if you don't like it, you'll just have to stop sneaking into their shows.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »
They're making the most of their careers.

really I'm just complaining because the amp prices have gone up so much because of the band name.. I am into the drone and all about huge rigs but man.. if they'd just picked a different name (or stuck with mars)... I am lame and poor and it was hard enough when obscure Sunns were only a few hundred bucks; I don't know how I'll manage if Model Ts start going for Dumble or blackface Fender prices.. but, for now there are still gems out there switching hands for great deals, so it's no reason to fret. Sorry guys! I didn't mean to rant or bring the hate - I take it back..

guess I'll just have to start a band called Earth Sound Research or Acoustic and start doing splits with Sunn O)))..  :-P
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:19 pm »
guess I'll just have to start a band called Earth Sound Research or Acoustic and start doing splits with Sunn O)))..  :-P

OK sorry if i said 'rant'
i have 9  T's and use every one of them when i play-which aint  much-no one wants to hear that much sound i guess.
Sunno))) is coming to my town this summer and everything is right w/ the world.
sorry-been drinking some argentine red wine :-)
luckily i gott my T's when prices were righteous.
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:21 pm »
Ha! If you ever find yourself only needed a measly 8 I would happily pay you a righteous price!
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L