Author Topic: New on here- Sunn 200S owner  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Sounbwoy

New on here- Sunn 200S owner
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:54 pm »
Hello all. I've lurked here a couple times but didn't spend much time checking things out. I'm the proud owner of a Sunn 200S that I had reconditioned about 2 years ago, after it sat and moved with me to different locations over a span of 18 years. I got it AND the Sun 1x18 cab for FREE when the previous owner didn't want it anymore. I had the cab reconed by a local audio company and used it on gigs with a Peavey Mark III for a couple years until I SOLD it because it was too heavy.. a decision I STILL regret to this DAY. As I said, I had the head reconditioned about 2 years ago with a three prong power cord and new tubes (2 Tung-Sol 6550 and a JJ GZ34S). The Polarity Switch is now the Standby switch as well. There are a couple other pieces that were replaced but I cannot find the paperwork right to say what they are. I had him set the speaker outs on the back to one for an 8Ohm cab and one for a 4Ohm cab (I have both). No I don't use two cabs with it. One or the other but I tend to use the 4Ohm cab more. I love this thing. I don't take it out much but it does get used.. not a paper weight!! The only other interesting thing about this unit is that it has these words stenciled in red on the bottom: "The Neon Rainbow". I've searched a bit but can't find a hit.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: New on here- Sunn 200S owner
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:02:41 am »
Welcome to the forum! Nice 200S, what are the cabs you usually run it through?

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:01 am »
Poissibly...

Neon Rainbow - Plays a variety of music with rock, blues, country and rock-a-billy, from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Neon Rainbow, based out of Clintonville (near Green Bay and Appleton).

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »
Here's a welcome from North Carolina.  I have a 200S cab with the original JBL's.  Very nice amp you've got.
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline Sounbwoy1

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:19:10 am »
Thanks All. Sorry for the delay in responding. I forgot my password and the reset password feature does not appear to be working (never got an email after repeated attempts) so I just created a new account. BigoBassman, I'm also in NC. Where are you located? Edbass, I primarily use an Ampeg 1x15 cab that I've had for quite a while. I blew the original driver and replaced it with an Eminence Driver rated at 300W at 4ohms as opposed to the original 200W at 8 ohms driver. I just sold the 8ohm cab to have some room, but I do have another 4ohm cab (Avatar 2x10), but the Sunn just sounds better with the 1x15. I had a big rig that I used to run with both 4ohm cabs in case you're wondering about my apparent fascination with 4ohm cabs.. lol.. I downsized but kept the cabs. The Sunn is not my primary head.
Watson..thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:32:02 pm »
Cool.  I'm in Gastonia.  Are you near?
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline Sounbwoy1

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:34:13 am »
Hey. No. I'm in Clayton, just outside Raleigh