Author Topic: Eminence speakers for empty Sunn Concert 215 cab?  (Read 6658 times)

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Eminence speakers for empty Sunn Concert 215 cab?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 04:47:42 pm »
There was a guy on TalkBass that glued some aluminum domes on a pair of Kappalites to make them look like JBLs and liked the treble boost they caused.

For a low cost Eminence I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Kappa 15LFA. Good low end and efficiency, low Qts.

Offline ryco

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:46:16 pm »
Went out to the drummer's house this afternoon to try out the KappaLite 3015. When I said he was "giving them away" meant he was going to sell them to me for $100 a speak - not "give" for free.

A little history you can skip: This guy also has been building and running sound systems since the 80s and has built a LOT of systems and bass bins for PAs over the years. I have never heard his gear in action or heard him run sound in a room or outside, so can't judge personally how good his gear sounds or his prowess as a soundguy. He is a welder by trade and, until very recently, was also employed by Hardin Optical, makers of telescopes and precision lesnses. Just saying this to say the guy has/had a LOT of money to spend at his sound "hobby" -- and spend he did.

I took the 215S out to his shop today to try these Eminence 3015s. We pulled them out of his PA bins and couldn't find anything on the  neodymium ring, or stamped into the basket that said 3015 or anything other than the Eminence logo, Made in USA, and a Kentuky address. On the paper cone were some stamped numbers = 451532-5/ 10188. Other than that no model number ID. He bought these about 5 years ago, but didn't keep the receipt so couldn't get the numers that way - he just said "These are the speakers all the bass players want." So I don't know.

Put these into the 215S running with the 200s and they didn't sound very good to my ear. Very deep, lots of lows, but couldn't get any presence out of them. Even with the "Hi Boost" switch engaged. Was running a modified Fender P (modded into a J-P-J pup configuration) with passive Duncan Quarter Pounders and running all pick ups full treble couldn't get much attack. Just sounded really woofy. Sounded a little better running with the Concert head, but couldn't really get a tone I was happy with - not even close. Too too boomy - even with the "treble boost" switch engaged.

Then he brought out a pair of JBL 2220H. We put thse in and they sounded so sweet! Very warm, very LOUD. With the 200s was the tubey distortion that sounds of the 70s = Mel Schacher, Jack Bruce, Tom Kriss (James Gang). It just sounded so dang good!! Had the amp up to about "4" and it was rattling the tools and walls of his large shop. These speaks and cab also sounded really sweet, clean, and punchy running through the Concert head. Very clean, clear, and warm AND LOUD! Had the Concert up to "3" and it was really LOUD. These speakers weren't even breaking a sweat - no distortion (except tube with the 200s) - very clear.

I could be very happy with these speakers. He's letting these go for $75 a piece and I'm really, really tempted to take him up on the offer. I didn't pee my pants, but I admit I dribbled.

If someone has an opinion as to whether these speaks are a wise choice as far as bass guitar appilcation or not, I would be interested to hear. I could be talked out of buying these for technical reasons, but DAMN they sound nice in this cab!
<%+

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
The 2220H is probably the loudest speaker JBL ever made, but they are only rated at 100W. The efficiency is rated at 8.7%. For comparison a K130 is 6.7% and a K140 is 3.5%. They don't have a real strong low end, not a problem in your case. The power rating won't be a problem with a 200S, just don't hook the cab to anything over 100W. Price is good, I say go with them.

Offline ryco

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 08:43:04 am »
After thinking about it last night I'm wondering if I'm not back to the same point I started at - where I'm getting [very!]  nice sounding older speakers that I could potentially accidently damage because they are a wee bit under powered. The D-130 Fs I have sound really good too, but, again, if damaged.....  [but getting redundant!]

I'd like to run this cab with a Sunn Concert head as well, which I believe runs at 150w. Not incredibly powerful by todays standards, but mebbe enough to blow these speakers.

<%+

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 10:10:03 am »
Unless you're planning on running the Concert dimed, full square wave, I think the 2220's would be fine. Of course, I could be wrong. But I've been using a pair of 2205's in a Sunn Model 215 cabinet for a few years now with no issues, and that includes the night the sound man had me turn up my amp well into distortion, which is not how I usually play.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:46 am »
I also think you will OK, unlike the AlNiCo D series the 2220 is a later ceramic motor JBL, and will take more "oomph", rated @ 200 watts program.
Even if the worst case scenario happens there are actually factory kits available; unlike the D and K series.

Rock on!

Offline ryco

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
Thanx for all the help and suggestions guys!! Really appreciate you all taking the time and energy on this project!

Will go with buying these JBLs -- they really sound sweet! I don't play all that loud. Was going to use this set up for the more rootsy, bluesy, small tav R&R gigs with old passive 4 string basses.

For hard rock monster gigs - which this old man rarely gets to play anymore - I have a VERY LOUD GK 1001/210 combo + 410 MBE neo ext which loves active 5 stringers. Slays Marshall full stacks no sweat! lol

With the money I've saved may go ahead and get purchase the Emmy 15LFAs LoudThud recommended for another unloaded Plush cab I have.

Thanx again! peace :)
<%+

Offline seattlesunn

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:54:56 am »
I am a bit late to the party, but had something to add to the thread. 

I have a couple of the same cabs, baffle on the right.  I wanted to try some new speakers and went with Faital Pro 15PR400.  They have neodymium magnet and are much lighter than the originals.  They sound very nice, and have a bit larger x-max and are very full sounding.  In addition I can drive them hard without worrying about frying the set of EV 15L's that were originally in the cab.  They are a great match with the cabinet.  They are a bit pricey, but I got the set on sale.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:38:13 pm by seattlesunn »
Sonaro (got me through highschool,  college and still my go to amp
200s
Coliseum Lead
1200s (hybrid amp)
Fender bassman 300 pro (I call it a 300t)

2-SUNN 215 cabs (D140's in one  Faital 15PR400's in other)
fearful 15x6, 15 sub