Author Topic: Sunn Concert Lead Black Face/red knob - what cabinet?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline mikeplaid

Sunn Concert Lead Black Face/red knob - what cabinet?
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »
Hi there. New to the forums here. Have a black face single channel guitar concert lead on the way and I am having a damn time trying to figure out what kind of a cabinet I should get for it, let alone how many ohms it should be running, etc. I've ran a couple of google searches and come up with a few links but nothing straight forward or easy for a newbie to understand.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Concert Lead Black Face/red knob - what cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:24 am »
What kind of cabinet do you want? The amp didn't come with a particular cabinet, so go with what you like.

As for impedance, the amp is rock solid down to 4 ohms. There is some discussion as to whether or not it would be stable into a 2 ohm load, but those with the most technical knowledge seem to be concentrated on the side that says no, so I wouldn't risk it.
Isaac

Offline mikeplaid

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:07 am »
So when I am shopping for a cabinet there isn't any particular Ohm rating that I need? I've been trying to figure out the deal with impedance and matching Ohms but it's been difficult to get it in laymen's terms.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:12:29 am »
So when I am shopping for a cabinet there isn't any particular Ohm rating that I need? I've been trying to figure out the deal with impedance and matching Ohms but it's been difficult to get it in laymen's terms.

As for impedance, the amp is rock solid down to 4 ohms. There is some discussion as to whether or not it would be stable into a 2 ohm load, but those with the most technical knowledge seem to be concentrated on the side that says no, so I wouldn't risk it.

I think Isaac about sums it up. You can get as high as you want with impedance, the potential danger lies in going too low with impedance.
There are numerous threads relating to this subject in general, and some dealing with the Concert series specifically.

The "search function" is your friend.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:52 am »

The higher the impedance, the less power the amp will produce. So, a 4 ohm cabinet would be the best match, giving you the most power and a load that the amp can safely drive. That's if you want to use only one cabinet. If you want to use two cabinets, then two 8 ohm cabinets are the best choice. That would be my choice, incidentally. The difference in sound output between similar 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinets is, in my opinion, negligible, only 3 dB. So you could use one cabinet for smaller gigs and two for larger gigs. It gives you more flexibility.
Isaac

Offline mikeplaid

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »
That actually clear things up a bit. Before I posted here I searched through this discussion page and a few other links and I found most of the discussions surrounding ohms made my head spin. Thanks again!