Author Topic: Avatar Speakers & cabinets  (Read 4917 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:58:29 pm »
Anyone using these?

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

i'm just drooling about my new up-coming additions to my rig...wanted to share it...! :-P

I've just ordered this custom 212 closed-back to go underneath my Sunn 212 open-back and do a 412 for my Solarus 1969 KT-88! they are 28.5" wide so it should fit ok under the 29" wide Sunn 212.

you can get it custom so it should be pretty close to the look of my actual Sunn gear! speakerles it's 229$+39$ shipping, not bad and I've saw a lot of good reviews on them...check them out.

I'm getting 2 Eminence Swamp Thang 16 ohm(darker bottom end) for it and also a pair of Eminence Legend CB15(more bottom end) for my 2000 215 Bass Cabinet...the Big Ben are in there but are going in my 1x15 Sunn to replace the old Sunn transducers...

Can wait to here that!

getting closer and closer to my ultimate dream tone...! :-D

Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline jaywalker

Re: Avatar Speakers & cabinets
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:53:42 pm »
Hi Chev. Avatar makes great stuff. I have a closed back 2x12 and I see that now you can order it open back with a panel to make it closed back whenever the mood strikes. I loaded it w/ one celestion G12K-85 that I had kickin' around and one WGS Vintage30 (they call them Veteran 30's now).
I also have a B115 bass cab (no longer offered) same dimensions as the 4x10. Next cab on my list is B112 to sit on top. My biggest quandary is whether or not to order the 1x12 in one of those shocking  :-o tolex colors and then recover the carpeted 15 to match...luxury problems!
Dave @ Avatar gets an A+
Hope you like yours.

Did I mention that mine is orange? Not my first choice but it was the right thing at the time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:03:38 am by jaywalker »

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:25 am »
Hi Chev. Avatar makes great stuff. I have a closed back 2x12 and I see that now you can order it open back with a panel to make it closed back whenever the mood strikes. I loaded it w/ one celestion G12K-85 that I had kickin' around and one WGS Vintage30 (they call them Veteran 30's now).
I also have a B115 bass cab (no longer offered) same dimensions as the 4x10. Next cab on my list is B112 to sit on top. My biggest quandary is whether or not to order the 1x12 in one of those shocking  :-o tolex colors and then recover the carpeted 15 to match...luxury problems!
Dave @ Avatar gets an A+
Hope you like yours.

Did I mention that mine is orange? Not my first choice but it was the right thing at the time.

Cool!

I was thinking about ordering it open-back with the conversion board but I have my Sunn 212 that's open-back so I really need a close-back for now...even thinking of closing the back of my Sunn 212...I'm more into fat dark rhythm than screaming lead...

And yeah, thay got all the color of tolex we can imagine...crazy! :-o

for speakers, I'm getting some Eminence from a warehouse in Ontario, cheap shipping and good service...!

Q-components:

http://www.loudspeakers.ca/index.html

I'm also very thrilled with getting my 1st pair of real bass 15'', Eminence CB15! for my bass rig so if ever get to track some bass line or tons of low-end with my baritone!!! haha! :evil:

oh and the Swamp Thang, every biggest magnet possible...!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:10:40 am by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

thevisionseeker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:59 am »
Dave Avatar is super nice guy too! Great choice on the Avatar cab!

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:39 am »
Cool!

Yeah I've got a great service with Dave at Avatar! :-D

I've got my speakers by mail the next day! these guys at Q-Component are fast!

So all what's missing is the Cab! :-D should come in next week!

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
look what came in the mail today!

no dent or rips, it was impressively well packaged!...just need the car back to go setup my Swamp Thang in there and record some clips! :-P

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:59:02 pm »
fwiw-a friend lent me his old Avatar 4X12 cab w/ the cheezee black carpet instead of tolex-no name spkrs and heavier than hell w/ no casters-its not worth much sound wise either. i think this new line of cabs are probably a whole other story.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:08:59 am »
The assembling work out like a charm, it was already wired to my specs and had the bolt to fix the speakers inside...super easy!

and it sound good at 1st try but the speakers still need to break in...but I've got the extra low end I was hoping for.

I will try mixing Wizard/Swamp Thang in each 2x12...

here's some more pics!

all birch plywood!

wired

speakers in!

fit for a stack

and some clips with this recording setup:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1056367