Author Topic: Unidentified Sunn Bass Head...  (Read 5752 times)

Offline siamdee

Unidentified Sunn Bass Head...
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:45 am »
Hi guys, my first post here. I have a Sunn Bass head that appears to be a 200s but has no identifier on the face, could anyone assist in identifying it? TIA ... Tim
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:55:18 pm by siamdee »

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: Unidentified Sunn Bass Head...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »
Judging from the grill cloth, I'd guess a 200S or Sorado. Please post a photo of the back; wouldn't help me but there are a lot of people on this forum who might spot something.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:48 am »
The 200S and Sorado are basicly indetical amps with a different "sticker" in face plate.
From the 3 pots and 2 switches it seems to be a 200S (without the name sticker though it might be a Sorado as well but it doesn't make any difference).

I forgot... Does your amp have KT-88 or 6550 tubes and tube rect?? If not forget the above and it might be a Sonaro - I-40 (with El34).
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline MikeL

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:18:31 am »
200s, Sorado, later non-combo Sonaro(not to mention the circa '67 Sonic II), they're all essentially the same amp, two 6550 or KT88 power tubes that provide 60 watts RMS with a 5ar4 rectifier tube, 80 watt(supposedly)with solid state rectification(first appearing in 1971). Bass, treble, and volume knobs, bass and treble boost switches, whatever the model name, this is the classic Sunn Bass amp. The different names come from the rather curious way Sunn marketed the amps; it changed depending on the type of speaker cabinet the heads were paired with. Now, I'm guessing that what you may have is a transitional model after Hartzell bought out the company from the Sundholm brothers. Your amp shows the '70-onward rectangular grill cloth; I assume there's no rectifier tube, with a metal disc cap where the tube socket used to be or else no holes in the chassis(the solid state rectifier circuit would be incorporated with the rest of amp wiring underneath). In 1972, Hartzell stepped up their push into solid state amplification with the unveiling of Colisseum, Concert, Solos, and Studio transistor bass and guitar amps. They did retain tube heads of course, but consolidated all the redundant model names. The various 60 watt guitar heads became the 190L, and the bass amps became the 190B(In the 1972 catalog it is listed as being 80 watts). Instead of actually printing the new model name on the control panel, they used a black rectangular sticker with the lettering in white. This, I believe, was done as they had a surplus of chassis already manufactured, with the various old names already printed on the face plates. I once had one of the 120 watt, four 6550 bass heads with a sticker that read "350B"(with a solid state rectifier).  When I scraped off the sticker, the imprint underneath read "2000s", which of course was the original model name for that amp configuration.  What I think you have is this: once the decision was made to unify the model names, perhaps they made up a number of chassis before the actual new name was decided upon. As I mentioned, they had a back supply of chassis with the earlier names, and used them up first. The 190L/190B/350L/350B lines didn't last for very long; by the 1974 catalog the only remaining tube amp, guitar or bass, was the newly-introduced Model T.  By that point in time, a 60 watt bass amp would not have much appeal; the wattage wars were well underway(if only I could get Barbara Walters to say that!)and even Fender upped the Bassman to 100 watts. Once again, this is all only my theory, and if your amp is tube rectified, that kinda shoots hole in it. However, if anyone else has more knowledge on the subject, let's hear it. Keep in mind that all of that does not diminish the fact that you own a great bass amp, when properly maintained.   

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:50:35 am »
Sonaro has black & blue lettering, Sorado is all black, 200S has black & red lettering I think?
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:50:34 am »
200s, Sorado, later non-combo Sonaro(not to mention the circa '67 Sonic II), they're all essentially the same amp...    

All of this info has been covered here repeatedly over the years, but still once a year or so it comes up like ground breaking news; that's why the search function is so useful :wink:.
Of course, if newer members used the search function instead of re-posting the chronology and differences between Sunn amps, questions about early output wiring, and how "ohms" work, this forum would be even slower moving than it already is, so these rehashes are probably a good thing  :-D.

Probably the best overall reference is the Catalog thread, you can often ID a piece of equipment using the fairly detailed descriptions posted there.

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:28 pm »
200s, Sorado, later non-combo Sonaro(not to mention the circa '67 Sonic II), they're all essentially the same amp...    

All of this info has been covered here repeatedly over the years, but still once a year or so it comes up like ground breaking news; that's why the search function is so useful :wink:.
Of course, if newer members used the search function instead of re-posting the chronology and differences between Sunn amps, questions about early output wiring, and how "ohms" work, this forum would be even slower moving than it already is, so these rehashes are probably a good thing  :-D.

Probably the best overall reference is the Catalog thread, you can often ID a piece of equipment using the fairly detailed descriptions posted there.

What's an ohm? Does it make my amp louder? What fuzz pedal should I use to sound like SunnO)))? Were the amps named after the band?  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline MikeL

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 06:38:16 pm »
An ohm is where you live if you're British. It will make your amp louder if the rec room in your ohm has high ceilings. The best fuzz to use is a Sunn Buzz, or else run the speaker output of any Crate amp into the input of a Behringer(repeat as necessary). No, they were named after the late surfer Rell Sunn. http://www.rellsunn.com/rell_sunn/photos.htm          :wink: :evil: :-P

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:57:32 pm »
Great! I'm glad that is all cleared up, now!

Can I use my Sunn O))) amps, named after the band, to play other types of music? :mrgreen:

Offline siamdee

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:19:57 pm »
Wow, thanks everyone, I was working and hadn't logged in, to see all the replys. I posted a new picture of the back....

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:45 am »
Spam Alert! in several posts like the one above

The new amp pic shows a pair of TungSol 6550 and a Mullard rectifier.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:53:02 am »
I'd say it's a 1969 or 1970 200S or Sorado.