Author Topic: What all models are equivalent to the 100S?  (Read 7314 times)

Offline gutterrock

What all models are equivalent to the 100S?
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:54:59 am »
First time poster!  I had a 100S that I stupidly sold and now am feverishly looking for another.  I know there are a couple of models that are essentially the same but it gets difficult to keep them all straight.  So, which all models are the same as 100S?  I really just want the 4 knobs, no effects, 60 watts (Kt88 or 6550), and in head only form.  I know the 200S is similar but I want the contour knob instead of the boost switches.  The Sunn shack page has good info but leaves out some later models that may also be something for me to search for.  Thanks in advance!  Looks like I have a lot of reading to do around here!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: What all models are equivalent to the 100S?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do around here!

Welcome aboard!
You can certainly keep yourself busy on this forum. The Sunn Shack page is entertaining and informative, however it barely scratches the surface when it comes to hard info about Sunn gear. There is substantially more hard info on this site.

I think if you start with loudthud's Sunn Catalog thread that is stickied at the top of the Q&A section you will get the answer to your "same as 100S" quest.
Search is your friend, dig in and have fun!

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »
Thanks a lot!  I will head over to the catalog now!

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:28:44 am »
Just checked out the catalog thread. It appears only the Spectrum I and spectrum II are equivalent to the 100S unless I missed one somewhere. I guess that gives me a tiny bit more hope in my search.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:47:07 am »
Sentura II, Sceptre and the later SS rectified 190L are the same except for reverb and trem; identical to a 100S w/ rev and trem. Sceptre's seem to pop up fairly regularly on eBay and other venues.
Have you found the reason that Sunn offered so many different names for identical amps yet?

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
It is because Sunn named the amps different names depending on what speaker cab they were intended to be paired with right?  I guess I could go for one of the effects heads if need be.  I rarely use reverb or tremolo on an amp, I have great pedals for that.  I guess I like the idea of less circuitry = less things to go wrong, particularly on an amp that is so old and will have to be bought sight unseen.  Are the trem and reverb circuits in those amps much of a nightmare/hassle as far a reliability or repairs?
Thanks!!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:25 am »
The tremolo circuit has been known to fail, usually the failure of a part that is no longer available. That's not an issue, though, if you don't plan to use it. I've had one cap go bad in the trem circuit. That was an easy fix.

In short, no, I wouldn't call it a nightmare.
Isaac

Offline patlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:08 am »
You can easily bypass the reverb and tremelo circuits. To bypass the tremelo circuit, short the photocell on SM-1 (which may be somewhat valuable.) To disable the reverb, remove the 12AU7 tube or disconnect the spring and short the return input.

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »
Thanks for all the info! Now if I can just find one. Doing daily searches of all the gear sites I can find and NOTHING is popping up. This, of course makes total sense because I am feverishly looking for one.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:32:02 pm »
Just be patient. Before long, some of us old guys will not be around to use our precious amps, and our kids will sell them for peanuts.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »
Just be patient. Before long, some of us old guys will not be around to use our precious amps, and our kids will sell them for peanuts.

I think that cycle might have already happened. At the end of last century/early this century you could buy 60 watt amps for a couple hundred all day, I bought a nice 2000S for $375 on eBay.
I think Sunns are easily as popular now with the younger players than they have been since they were in their production heyday.

I hope so anyway! Of course they apparently aren't popular enough for Fender to resuscitate the brand...

Offline patlaw

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:14:13 pm »
Of course they apparently aren't popular enough for Fender to resuscitate the brand...

Conrad needs to buy the name back and get busy!

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »
I think Fender should probably sell the name of they aren't going to use it. However, I fear the buyer would just use the name to slap on some cheap Chinese made amps. I actually do like the fender model T, it is actually what I am playing through now. Not a vintage T, but a good amp in its own right. If Conrad bought it, I would have to save some money up quick!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 11:38:28 pm »
Without having any inside knowledge from FMIC, I'm still pretty sure about a couple of things regarding the Fender/Sunn thing;

FMIC has researched the market regarding bringing back Sunn and determined that at this point anyway, it isn't a viable idea.
And...
You would have to sell a freekin' boatload of amps to make the terms that FMIC would want to release the name a viable proposition.

It's not just Sunn, it's also Guild, SWR, Tacoma Guitars,  Jackson, Olympia, Orpheum, Ovation Guitar Company, Latin Percussion, Gilbralter Hardware, Genz Benz Amplification, Charvel, Hamer Guitars, and sort of Gretsch. Some of them have already, and anyone of them could go dormant like Sunn did based on P&L statements. SWR and Genz Benz have already gone away.

Also, I certainly can't speak for Mr. Sundholm, however it would be very surprising to me if he would feel like taking on the monumental headache involved with doing the "Sunn thing" all over again!

Sounds like a marvelous idea to bring back these icons like Sunn, but not such a realistic concept regretfully...

Also Also, Search is your friend. Many subjects (such as this one) have come up repeatedly in the past.
I don't say these things to be a jerk, there are reasons I encourage people to search and resuscitate old threads;
We have had several interruptions to this forum over the years, some which have caused old threads to become dormant. Searching out these old thread and posting new comments/information on them brings them back from the dead.

And secondarily it gets a little old answering the same questions and comments over and over and over and over...