Author Topic: 2000s single 15" cab?  (Read 3689 times)

Offline pookiebass

2000s single 15" cab?
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:35 pm »
Did Sunn ever make a single 15" speaker cab for the 2000s? Something like the Sonic I cab but perhaps 30" wide by 24" high and 15' deep, bass reflex? Basically, 1/2 of the regular cab.
Just curious, thanks.
CD

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: 2000s single 15" cab?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:08 am »
Not that I ever heard of. Single 15"s of the day couldn't handle that much power. There may have been exceptions, but I'm not aware of them.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:05:48 pm »
I made myself a single 15 cab that when upright fits the 200S size head, and when on its side, it fits the 2000S size head. It has a port that is half the size of the full size cabinet, and uses a JBL E140 for enough power handling for both amps. It was a little bass heavy, so I added some 5 inch speakers and Conrad designed a crossover network. The thing sounds great now with great highs and lows, so it can be done, but takes some effort on your part.

I don't think Sunn made anything like it though that could handle the power of a 2000S.

Greg

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:53:04 pm »
The 115BH is 24 X 27. A bit closer but not the 30" of the 2000S.

I have been using a JBL 2115B with a single cap of 10mh in line along with my 215 and it really sounds wonderful...so much bottom it has to be held back, bright, clear highs that articulate the notes and the picking technique. Right now I have it in a separate small cabinet, I have been thinking about trying it with an 18. The JBL 2400 series seem to be very inexpensive these days.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:18:35 pm »
I made myself a single 15 cab that when upright fits the 200S size head, and when on its side, it fits the 2000S size head. It has a port that is half the size of the full size cabinet, and uses a JBL E140 for enough power handling for both amps. It was a little bass heavy, so I added some 5 inch speakers and Conrad designed a crossover network. The thing sounds great now with great highs and lows, so it can be done, but takes some effort on your part.

I don't think Sunn made anything like it though that could handle the power of a 2000S.

Greg

How about some specifics, particularly about the 5" drivers/crossover? Whats the total impedance? I need to come up with a 30"X24"X? cab to work with the 4 X KT88 Reeves Bass Amp I've been playing around with, and it would save some time if I could coat tail on your work!

Offline pookiebass

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:27:18 pm »
HI guys,
Thanks for the great feedback - what if I used a JBL K145? That should handle the power, no?
CD

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:55 am »
Sure. Lots of modern drivers that can handle the 2000S.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:20:19 pm »
Hi Ed,

The dimensions are the same as the 200S and 2000S for the height (2000S) and width (200S). I forget the depth but I can check later when I'm back home. The port is on the bottom and is half the height of the 2x15 port. The back/bottom of the cabinet is made like an SVT cabinet with wheels and an angled back/bottom. There are inset handles like on a Marshall 4x12 on the sides to carry it with, and its wired for 8 ohms total. The JBL E140 is 8 ohms/200 watts, and the two 5 inch speakers are 16 ohms each (I think they were 50 watts each), and they are wired in parallel with each other and to the JBL, but after talking to some people, they said run it at 8 ohms because the tweeters aren't really there except for at high frequencies. It sounds better at 8 ohms too.

The 5 inch drivers were Pioneer I think.....its been awhile. Conrad and I didn't like them as much as these other 6 inch ones that he had used in the past on a different cabinet, but those 6 inch ones aren't available any more, and I only had room for the 5 inch ones anyway. He designed the crossover network and we have LMS specs on the cabinet....before the tweeters were added the LMS plot was very close to Isaac's 2x15 JBL D140F Sunn cabinet.....the differences could be mostly due to the speaker difference and the box size....but mine would go down to 40 Hz like his will which was cool. With the tweeters and the crossover, mine will go higher too now, and there is a boost in the upper mids that really helps out. I don't think Conrad has a way to print out LMS plots, but I could plot it here at work on our LMS system and maybe print it.....I'll have to ask the audio engineer about it. I can get some pics of the cabinet and post them however...give me a couple days. The only problem I have with it is that it will scoot itself across the floor if the amp is up around 5 because of all the bass. I may add some locking wheels instead of the ones on there so it won't scoot across the room! When its on a stage against a wall it isn't a problem.

Greg

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:39:48 am »
Hi Ed,

I've got some pics of the cabinet, but I'm not sure how to post them here. I can email them to you however if you want them? Whats your email.....

The dimensions are (H) 30" x (W) 24" x (D) 15" and are slightly deeper and larger than a Sunn 1x15, and deeper than the Sunn 2x15 cabinets too. With the feet and the wheels on the bottom it is about 3/4" taller than the 30", but the box itself is 30". Its just as deep as an SVT cabinet btw. The port at the bottom is 2 3/4" tall and as wide as the interior dimensions of the cabinet. It goes all the way to the back and then the Sunn setup is there on the inside with the rear loading boards. The 5" drivers are sealed so there was no need to make a seperate box for them. I did have to cut into the faceplate board on the backside so that the 5 inch speakers would clear and not rattle. I highly recommend the 5 inch speakers, or even better, some 6 inch. The crossover is the key, and I don't know the specs of what Conrad came up with on that, but I'm sure you could ask him. He's still got the LMS plot of my cabinet in his computer somewhere, but that computer is really old and doesn't have printing, CD, or thumbdrive capability. Need more info, just let me know!

greg

P.S. I'm going to get rid of the oxblood grillecloth....I've grown tired of it and will probably go with some Sunn silver if I can find it.

Offline sundhy

• http://c.sundholm@comcast.net
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 09:58:02 am »
I recently built a 2000S cabinet and restored a2000S head cabinet for a client in Washington State.  Here are two photo's.

Conrad Sundholm
Great tone my passion.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 02:37:38 pm »
Those look great Conrad! I need to get one for myself one of these days. Are those the ones you were working on at the beginning of the summer when we added those 5 inch speakers to my cabinet or are those another set?

Greg

Offline sundhy

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 05:02:05 pm »
This is the same set.  Here is a picture of the construction details.

Conrad Sundholm
Great tone my passion.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 04:22:02 pm »
I thought that was the same set. Did you make that one front loading? If so, I wonder how much different it sounds.

Greg

Offline sundhy

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 05:48:46 pm »
The speakers mounted from the back with a removable back panel just like the original.  There would be no difference in performance between front mounting or rear mounting.  Front mounting would present the problem of the speaker cone at max excursion hitting the grill cloth.

Conrad Sundholm
Great tone my passion.