Author Topic: Replacement speakers for Sunn 612S  (Read 2774 times)

Offline fallinginto

Replacement speakers for Sunn 612S
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:56 pm »
Ok so i recently bought a sunn 612S cab. its a beautiful cab the only problem is it is missing 2 speakers. i was wondering if anyone could suggest what type of speakers i should replace them with. it should be noted that i play a bass through it. thanks much

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Replacement speakers for Sunn 612S
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:31:44 am »
I am not a fan of mixing drivers in the same cabinet. The air in the enclosure couples the drivers acoustically, and they must be closely matched to prevent odd and potentially unpleasant, possibly even dangerous (to the drivers) things from happening. In view of that, I suggest trying to find some original drivers.

Failing that, and it's not easy to do, I'd get a set of new drivers, all the same. What kind? Here's where it gets interesting.

The 612S has very little interior volume. Because of that, you have a strong possibility of getting a large peak in the response in the midbass. Minimize that by using low Q drivers. Unless, of course, you like that sound. Either way, you're not likely to get much low bass out of it. It should be loud, though!
Isaac

Offline fallinginto

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »
i see, thanks for the help. well i would eventualy like to get a set of celestion BN12-300X's for it. but ill have to save up for awhile before that hah. but in the mean time ill just keep an eye out and see if i can find some speakers that match the originals. i wish the previous owner had just left them in there, it would be so much easier to just fix the originals. but oh well even with just four speakers in there the cab sounds great and is bloody loud!

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:25:12 pm »
I have the same cabinet and loaded it with Eminence Delta Bass 12" (12LFA) speakers. I get massive, massive lows out of it contrary to the above, but the highs and upper mids are very guitar-like in clarity. I love the sound.

Hey do you have casters on your cabinet? I need to replace mine and I need to know the size I need. I don't think my cabinet ever had them.
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline fallinginto

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:11:10 pm »
ah cool thanks for the suggestion. i may have to look into gettin me some of those when i get up some $$$. but i actually ended up going back to the place i got it from and they hooked me up with some speakers that were a pretty close match to the originals.

and yes my cab has casters, im not sure if they came on the cab or got added somewhere along the line. what dimensions are you looking for on it?

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:59:28 am »
The base plate size and the wheel diameter. I guess a picture would work too.

I think they used 2" casters, but seeing a 2" caster in real life looks pretty wimpy. Is that really what was used?
My Sunn Amp:

Offline fallinginto

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 04:25:08 pm »
ya thats whats on mine. 2''X2'' base plate and diameter also just over 2'' look pretty wimpy but they are all still working well

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:32:04 am »
The base plate size and the wheel diameter. I guess a picture would work too.

I think they used 2" casters, but seeing a 2" caster in real life looks pretty wimpy. Is that really what was used?

Mine isn't right in front of me, but 2" sounds about right.  My only wish is that the cabinet had wheels like an Ampeg 8x10, but all the same, given the weight of the 612s, the casters hold up all the same.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:47:48 am »
I have the same cabinet and loaded it with Eminence Delta Bass 12" (12LFA) speakers. I get massive, massive lows out of it contrary to the above, but the highs and upper mids are very guitar-like in clarity. I love the sound.

I'm guessing that what you're actually getting is massive amounts of low midrange, but that seems to be what passes for real bass these days. However, my opinion means exactly squat. It's your cabinet, and if you love the sound, then it's all good.
Isaac

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 01:28:10 pm »
hah, we've had this discussion before. I suppose true sub is all in the (rattled) gut of the beholder?  :lol:

My Sunn Amp:

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 03:38:27 pm »
hah, we've had this discussion before. I suppose true sub is all in the (rattled) gut of the beholder?  :lol:

Certainly satisfaction is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak. However, frequency response is measurable, and therefore a matter of fact, not opinion. Until we have the facts, though...
Isaac