Author Topic: fender SUNN model T tube question.  (Read 980 times)

Offline cromag

fender SUNN model T tube question.
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:49:22 pm »
i bought a matched quad to retube my fender era sunn model T.   i accidentally broke one tube.  (i'm a buffoon).  i had to order another set of matched just to replace the one broken one.  the problem is that the new set will not match a set i wll make out of the remaining 3 (minus the broken one).  so will this be o.k.?   and which two tubes work together, and which are the other two that work together,  out of the four, once installed?    or, how can i identify the (TWO) sets of tubes of the four while installed so i can pair tubes and keep the matched sets together, working together. then bias and balance?    does all that make any sense?    thanks for any info.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: fender SUNN model T tube question.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 01:06:26 pm »

Well, in theory anyways, a matched quad should be four tubes that all have close or similar operating characteristics.  Four perfectly identical tubes is never likely to be found, but close enough is close enough.  So, any two tubes of a quad should work together.

On the other hand, I never buy matched quads.  I'll buy two matched pairs and put the matched ones on each side of the transformer.  A little cheaper and I never notice the difference. 

Offline cromag

Re: fender SUNN model T tube question.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 04:35:57 pm »
joe, you always make perfectly logical sense.    thank you.