Author Topic: 1200s questions  (Read 1468 times)

Offline John

1200s questions
« on: April 08, 2000, 11:49:00 pm »
I just picked up a 1200s that is a bit of a "fixer." Someone REALLY did a number on the tolex and the grill cloth. Does anybody know of sources for replacement material? I also found a 2000s bottom to go with it. I've owned a couple of 200s bottoms (one with the folded horn, and one with cardboard tubes for ports) as well as a couple of 215s bottoms. The cab is empty so I can't be sure of what I've got yet...does anybody here have much comparative info about the cabs I've listed? Also, I'd be curious of speaker recommendations. I'm picking up a pair of OLD D-140 baskets, so I can set them up anyway I'd like. Perhaps I should have them built like a 2225?
This will be my box for playing straight ahead rock and blues, probably with my Precision or Jazz.
Also (sorry for the length) how about amp mods? I owned a '71 Solarus once that we added 5x the power supply capacity, re-capped the signal side with hi-fi caps, and changed over to a solid state recifier. What a wonderful amp! I never should have sold it. The guys at Bass NW said it was the best sounding Sunn they had ever heard. Any takes on doing something similar to the 1200s?
I am REALLY looking forward to having a blazing Sunn rig again!

Offline Old Sunn Guy

1200s questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2000, 11:06:00 pm »
Also, I'd be curious of speaker recommendations. I'm picking up a pair of OLD D-140 baskets, so I can set them up anyway I'd like. Perhaps I should have them built like a 2225?

I've had the d-140s in a sunn 2000s rig and I've had the old EV SRO 15s

The jbls are really smooth, but if you want volume and punch without speaker flap the SROs are great

Also, In Seattle Andy Marshall at THD electronics
is really a whiz and he likes moding old Sunn stuff.  

And he's the best,  he recapped my 2000s and modded it so I could, at my option plug in an
alembic preamp to the 2000s power section.

It is soo smooth.