Author Topic: It's painted white.  (Read 8164 times)

Offline loopyreed

Re: It's painted white.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:17 am »
Thanks!  That was everything I needed to know.  And yeah, I did mean transformers...I was posting while drinking. 

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 09:41:53 pm »
I know it's been a while, but here's an update on the progess so far for those who might care.

The spraypaint remover stuff I got at Wal-Mart worked about as good as I thought it would...which is not very well.  I found that if I left it on for about 10 minutes, then took it to the high pressure bay at the car wash it would work pretty well.  But I can't afford $3 per six-inch-square section of paint removed.  Plus the high pressure wash tends to chew up the tolex on the corners.  Can't have that.  Under the paint the tolex is in really really good condition.  The top of it is almost completely paint-free, and it looks pretty good.   

Also, I get pretty nervous with some of that water making its way into the cabinet and soaking into the wood.  So I'm gonna find a different route, as soon as I can find the appropriate paint remover.

Basically this project has left me with a few raw speakers sitting in the closet, some grill cloth hidden behind a dresser so the cats don't do anything to it, and a really cool place for said cats to hang out.  It's a shame.  I gotta get something done with it soon. 

Option two or three at this point would be to buy some of the Sunn tolex that occasionally pops up ebay and just recover it.  But I'm afraid that might be more work.  Anybody have any experience re-tolexing an amp? 

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »
Finally got this thing looking decent...

After trying every option (cleaning, stripping, finding replacement tolex) I finally got tired of the lack of progress and did it up with some flat black Krylon.  Bet you couldn't tell. 

Sounds good with the Concert Lead I got yesterday.

Now I gotta figure out how to get the paint off of the grill cloth...or new grill cloth. 

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »
You can use the jacks for one 8 ohm cab in the 8 ohm jack, OR one 4 ohm cab in the 4 ohm jack, OR two 8 ohm cabs, one in each jack, no mix 'n match allowed!

I needed this info, thanks! now it's crystal clear.

loopyreed,

Nice job for your restoration!

and speaking of cat messing the grill cloth...i think my friend's cat (where I practice) mess two spots in my 2 original 1971 cabs! :x

i'll need to find something to cover them while I'm gone...because they are mint!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:37:00 pm by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:58:37 pm »
Looks like you need some corners...IM me. :-)

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »
Chev, I've found that my cats love the grille cloth, but don't touch the tolex.  Try just turning the cabs around so the cloth is facing the wall, and hopefully that will help.  Simple, but it kept my 612S' safe and sound when I was in-between rehearsal spaces.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »
Chev, I've found that my cats love the grille cloth, but don't touch the tolex.  Try just turning the cabs around so the cloth is facing the wall, and hopefully that will help.  Simple, but it kept my 612S' safe and sound when I was in-between rehearsal spaces.

Yes thanks, you got it.

I've manage to found 16 feet of black fabric at a dressing recycling coop for cheap...hippy thing...haha

I put this over my baby's when I'm gone...but it's the best [look at the window] spot for the cat...i'm fine with that as long as it doesn't do his front nails on the Tolex...!!! but it's a cute cat...lol! 
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 04:02:30 pm »
Looks like you need some corners...IM me. :-)

I actually still have the corners, when I took the picture they were soaking in paint thinner to get the spraypaint off.  Thanks anyway though!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:36 pm »

On the other hand, my cat shredded the Tolex (or Tolex-like material) on one of my amps.
Isaac

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 10:17:09 am »
Bummer. My cats really don't like the tolex on Sunn amps, which is just fine for me, but they loved the grille cloth.  Maybe put a piece of heavy-duty cardboard against the amps? Or have a scratching post nearby?
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:39 pm »
Same cat hates scratching posts! Go figure.
Isaac

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
Same cat hates scratching posts! Go figure.

Of course! Scratching posts have terrible action.   :-)