Author Topic: Rebuilding a 67 Sunn Sentura II / Cabinets  (Read 9296 times)

Offline HRobert

Rebuilding a 67 Sunn Sentura II / Cabinets
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »
The amp is getting much closer to being finished.  Today I cut two new backs for the cabs, drilled the mounting holes in them, and drilled out the holes for the cups for the input jacks.  I spray painted another coat of flat black black on the speaker baffles.  Now I just have to attach the grill cloth to the baffles and mount them in the cabs, put in the foam insulation ---when it arrives, cover the backs with vinyl, install and wire the JBL's and they're ready to go.

Here's a couple of pics of the cabs with the head - one with the baffles off, and one with the bare baffles set in place for the picture.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:02:58 pm by HRobert »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Rebuilding a 67 Sunn Sentura II / Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:40:20 am »
Those are gorgeous, Bob. What an incredible piece of music history, well done brother!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:57:21 am »
I seem to remember that there were two ports, one beside each speaker from pictures that appeared in an ebay auction. Did you have an actual cabinet to copy?

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:05 am »
I seem to remember that there were two ports, one beside each speaker from pictures that appeared in an ebay auction. Did you have an actual cabinet to copy?

I've seen the pic on ebay with the cab with two ports, but the cab that came with my original "67" Sentura II only had one port on the bottom, like the ones I'm building. The second matching cab that I bought also had one port, so that's what I went by when I built these.  

I guess this would be a question for Conrad.  Perhaps the cab on ebay was one of the original cabs that came with the "66"
230-B-60...I don't know. Back in the 70's I did a rough drawing of the speakers with the outside dimensions and the rough speaker placement.  My drawing from that time only had one port.  Maybe I missed it when I did the drawing, but I don't think so.  I rememberonly one port at the bottom.

Back in the 70's I refurbished a cabinet from a Spectrum I - which had 1 15" speaker.  That cab had 2 ports that were horizontal  - one above and one below the speaker.

Thanks for looking at my posts and for your comments.  I will be posting more pics of the cabs as I finish them.
Bob
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:55:17 pm by HRobert »

Offline HRobert

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »

Loudthud,

Hurrah!!!! I found the picture of the Sentura II cab with the single port.  I had two cabs exactly like this - with the two JBL D-130F speakers.  This is what I used as a reference to build the baffles for the present cabs.  As I mentioned before, I think that cab with 2 ports that was on ebay was one of the earlier '66' 230-B cabs.  Only Conrad knows for sure.

Rob

Offline HRobert

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 06:49:10 pm »

Loudthud,

Hurrah!!!! I found the picture of the Sentura II cab with the single port.  I had two cabs exactly like this - with the two JBL D-130F speakers.  This is what I used as a reference to build the baffles for the present cabs.  As I mentioned before, I think that cab with 2 ports that was on ebay was one of the earlier '66' 230-B cabs.  Only Conrad knows for sure.

Rob

Sent Conrad an email with the port question.  His reply was that the 2 x 15 bottom with the 1966 230-B-60 had two ports - one by each  speaker.  The 1967 Sentura II had one port by the lower speaker.

Rob

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:08:27 pm »
That's interesting. Take a look at the picture of the cab posted here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15260/#post121719

in the Q&A section. It has sculpted ports that look like the cab was modified.

Offline Johnny Guitar

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:08 pm »
Bob your Cabinets look great!
When I was 16 I drooled over the Sunn amps in my local Music Store.  I finally saved enough money for a used one, it was a Spectrum 1 with the 115 cab.  The other guitar player in my band had a Fender Dual Showman with 2 - D130s, so I made a new baffle board and put a second D130 in the cab.  I don't know how but I put them vertically not offset, they must have been touching!  The Amp sounded great with my Gibson 335.  I bought a Spectrum 1 but it needs work and I haven't got to it yet. I have been looking for a "Short" cab like I used to have.  I won a Sentura II Cab on eBay but the guy wouldn't take the money and ship it! :cry:  Here are a few pics of the cab I won and some others from eBay ads.
Johnny G.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:16:35 pm »
Bob your Cabinets look great!
When I was 16 I drooled over the Sunn amps in my local Music Store.  I finally saved enough money for a used one, it was a Spectrum 1 with the 115 cab.  The other guitar player in my band had a Fender Dual Showman with 2 - D130s, so I made a new baffle board and put a second D130 in the cab.  I don't know how but I put them vertically not offset, they must have been touching!  The Amp sounded great with my Gibson 335.  I bought a Spectrum 1 but it needs work and I haven't got to it yet. I have been looking for a "Short" cab like I used to have.  I won a Sentura II Cab on eBay but the guy wouldn't take the money and ship it! :cry:  Here are a few pics of the cab I won and some others from eBay ads.
Johnny G.

Johnny,

Thanks for the compliments.  Work and other distractions have temporarly taken me away from the project; however, yesterday the foam for the insulation arrived, and I have a 3 day weekend, so hopefully I'll have some time to work towards finishing the project.

This project was an undertaking to get back something that I had lost..or had to give up. In early 1968, when I was a junior in high school, I got a new 1967 Sunn Sentura II with the short cab - 2 x 15 JBL D-130's.  Around 1972 I found a second cab NEW in a music store and bought it..so I had 2 cabs.  In 1982, I had to sell part of my equipment collection to pay bills; the Sentura II with both cabs along with a pair of Sunn 412S PA columns, a Sunn P.A. 6 powered mixer, and my Gibson SG Special were sold.  I was a full time musician and times were lean in Michigan.  I kept my keyboards and my stereo sound system, but had to sell the equipment that I wasn't using at the time.  It was really hard to give up, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

About 1 1/2 years ago I bid on a Sentura II cab that was on eBay.  The guy was in Oregon and he really jacked me around..so I pulled my bid and decided to build my own.  I'ts been a very satisfying project.  I'll be posting more pictures and descriptions as the project continues.

Rob

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:15:41 am »
Those cabinets look great!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline HRobert

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »
Those cabinets look great!

CLD,

Thanks.  Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to do some more work.  I have the grill cloth for the baffles and hopefully I'll have a chance to attach it.  It's really a chore trying to get the pattern straight.  Solid black is so much easier to lay down..but then...I wouldn't have a Sunn cab that looked as it should.  Will post more pics as the work progresses.

Bob

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 06:33:33 pm »
  That's a great looking rig,great job on the cabs,well done !!! Mel.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:10:28 am »
More pic are posted.

Rob