Author Topic: Sunn Colissium  (Read 5080 times)

Offline godofthunder59

Sunn Colissium
« on: January 28, 2005, 04:16:17 pm »
Hi first time here ! I just bought a Colissium bass head today. It was quite a deal I thought at $119.00 . It is in excellent cosmetic and working condition. It has a silver face with black graphics. Is this a early model ? The black face with white graphic I have seen before but never this.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Sunn Colissium
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 03:03:05 pm »
Yes, that's the older model. Let us know how it sounds.
Isaac

Offline godofthunder59

how it sounds
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 05:15:21 pm »
I liked it very much in the store. I'll try it at rehersal and let you know.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Sunn Colissium
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 05:45:28 pm »
Performance is where it should really shine.
Isaac

Offline godofthunder59

performance
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 06:02:37 am »
I'm a big John Entwhistle fan and have alwas wanted one of these. Most of my amps are tube, Ampeg SVTs, Marshall Majors, Hiwatts etc. I bought this as a back up at my rehersal studio in case my tube amps are giving me trouble.

Offline ClevelandRocks

Sunn Colissium
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 01:41:06 pm »
I bought one new in 1972, wish I stll had it. It was a great bass amp. I started out with 2 Front loaded 18s that sounded really bad. Went to 2 folded horn 18s which had major low end but not much else and ended up playing the head through an 810 SVT bottom.

Im on the lookout now for a 200s. If I saw a Colliseum at a good price I think I would grab it though.  What I remember about it was the way the EQ worked. If I remember correctly the bass mid and treble had major control over the sound rather than just coloring it. I think they acted like volume controls for the indiviual frequencies. If you turned them all off you would have no sound.

A lots happened since I owned one so I am not 100% sure about that. I do remember that I loved the sound through the 810 SVT.

Offline godofthunder59

Tried it !
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 02:15:57 pm »
I used the Colisisum at rehersal last night , man what a loud amp, tons of head room. The louder it got the better it sounded, unfortunatly it was to loud for rehersal. But it makes a fine back up. I loved the low notes through this amp nice and tight but when I went on the upper register the noes just kind of died ( at high volume they leapt right out ), Over all I am very happy with my purchase. I think I might try it at a gig where volume won't be so much of a issue.

Offline godofthunder59

Coloseium wattage ?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:14 am »
How many watts is this thing ? 200 or 300 ?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Sunn Colissium
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 07:51:53 am »
IIRC, it was rated at 300W RMS @ 2 ohms. I don't know what it was rated at 4 or 8 ohms.
Isaac

Offline MickP

Coliseum Power Rating
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 03:27:53 pm »
The Coliseum Bass operating guide gives-
Amp top & 1 cab (4ohm)- 210 watts RMS
Amp top & 2 cabs (2ohm)- 318 watts RMS

It gives a very strong 318 watts! Good, loud, and solid.

MickP

cjb

Impedance - CV 18 folded horn
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 01:46:14 pm »
Hey, ClevelandRocks guy: do you have any idea what the resistance is on the 18" Cerwin Vegas that eventually came in the Coliseum folded horn cabs (like mine)?  I've had one for years and never really worried about it until now (new SWR setup needing serious low end).  I'm trying to avoid unscrewing 32 screws here and don't really want to go to a series box if I don't have to!  (I haven't taken the cabinet apart since about 1975, but it still puts out some major thump.)

Quote from: ClevelandRocks
I bought one new in 1972, wish I stll had it. It was a great bass amp. I started out with 2 Front loaded 18s that sounded really bad. Went to 2 folded horn 18s which had major low end but not much else and ended up playing the head through an 810 SVT bottom.

Im on the lookout now for a 200s. If I saw a Colliseum at a good price I think I would grab it though.  What I remember about it was the way the EQ worked. If I remember correctly the bass mid and treble had major control over the sound rather than just coloring it. I think they acted like volume controls for the indiviual frequencies. If you turned them all off you would have no sound.

A lots happened since I owned one so I am not 100% sure about that. I do remember that I loved the sound through the 810 SVT.

Offline MickP

Sunn Colissium
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 04:13:38 pm »
cjb,
I have three SUNN cabs w/Cerwin Vega 18's and they are all 4 ohm.
MP

cjb

Cerwin Vega 18's
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 07:52:34 am »
Thanks!  Saved me some effort.  I must have the "fourth" cab to your three -- I never owned a pair, just the one.  Bought it in Marissa, IL @ Swing City years ago (I notice you're not all that far away) -- I think '73 or '4.  Great speaker, solid cabinet.  Roadies hated it.

Quote from: MickP
cjb,
I have three SUNN cabs w/Cerwin Vega 18's and they are all 4 ohm.
MP

Offline MickP

Sunn Colissium
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 04:48:39 pm »
cjb,

Are you in Taylorville? I may have got an ASAT bass from you.

MickP