Author Topic: Sunn rigs of doom  (Read 158632 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: Sunn rigs of doom
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:04 am »
UPDATE!!!

test ride before the cab restauration:

412 cab restored from 8ohm to 4ohm:

before

after

And then...

The beast of Doom is born:

Sunn Model T at 2 ohm into Sunn 412 + Sunn 215 fully restored with Emi speakers...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:19:48 pm by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline rot gut

« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:19 am »
looks better standing up

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:49 am »
really, I don't know I think it looks scary huge like this haha!

I like having the cab on the rubber feet instead of the casters to get the maximum sub-frequency felt all around the room.

But it's a f...n pain to put the 412 on top by myself...! heavy lifting for a heavy tone. ;)

But I might have to put them standing again because I also use the 1st setup shown for a 2 guitar rig...in a 2nd black metal project in the process...
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2011, 05:36:50 am »
here's a iPhone sample of the beast in action!  :evil:

you will ear some Sunno))), Moss. Electric Wizard and some riff improv...and some sloppy «  la EHG» at the end...haha

http://snd.sc/qDRrpV
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:13:31 am by chev »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:59 am »
Sunn Model T at 2 ohm into Sunn 412 + Sunn 215 fully restored with Emi speakers...

Why 2 ohms? Wouldn't you have had a lot more flexibility with 8 ohm cabinets rather than 4 ohm cabinets?
Things like adding another pair of cabs to the Model T in the future, or the ability to use the restored pair with one of your other Sunn amps you have listed would have been been nice IMO.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:05 am »

Why 2 ohms? Wouldn't you have had a lot more flexibility with 8 ohm cabinets rather than 4 ohm cabinets?
Things like adding another pair of cabs to the Model T in the future, or the ability to use the restored pair with one of your other Sunn amps you have listed would have been been nice IMO.

Yeah but it's also a space issue.

I need the best efficiency for the space I have.

I could go back using the Spectre+412 and Model T+215 for the same space used but I get a better tone for the application out of the Model T so I want the most I can get out of it.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2011, 09:41:53 am »

I could go back using the Spectre+412 and Model T+215 for the same space used but I get a better tone for the application out of the Model T so I want the most I can get out of it.

You know that with a Model T it doesn't matter what the load is, right? You get as much "out of it" at 8 or 4 ohms as you do at 2 ohms.
Transistor amps will output more at lower loads; tube amps do not.
I’m sure the Model T is quite thunderous through that pair of cabs, but it just seems like you could get a lot more use out of them if they were 8 ohm cabs instead of 4 ohm cabs; then all of your old Sunn amps could run your newly refurbished cabs as a pair.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:04 am »

You know that with a Model T it doesn't matter what the load is, right? You get as much "out of it" at 8 or 4 ohms as you do at 2 ohms.
Transistor amps will output more at lower loads; tube amps do not.
I’m sure the Model T is quite thunderous through that pair of cabs, but it just seems like you could get a lot more use out of them if they were 8 ohm cabs instead of 4 ohm cabs; then all of your old Sunn amps could run your newly refurbished cabs as a pair.

woaw, I didn't know that actually!?

I tought the spec 150w was there only at 2ohm!

Yeah I want to send the Sceptre head for full restoration and use it with his matching 412 cab, the Model T could go on the 215 then.
When the bassit is not there I also send the Model T line out to the Coliseum Slave+2 1x15 and the Sonaro +215...!!! massive tone but not has massive as having a fully rig bassist. ;)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:30 am »

Yeah I want to send the Sceptre head for full restoration and use it with his matching 412 cab, the Model T could go on the 215 then.
When the bassit is not there I also send the Model T line out to the Coliseum Slave+2 1x15 and the Sonaro +215...!!! massive tone but not has massive as having a fully rig bassist. ;)

Yep, I think there is even a 16 ohm tap inside your Model T, you could use that and get every bit as much power out of that amp with a 16 ohm load as you can at 2 ohms. It doesn’t make any difference at all to the amp itself; to the amp it all looks the same. That’s the reason for the output transformer.
Kind of a handy thing to know about when you are making a big pile of amps and cabs…  :roll:

Of course, ALL of this helpful “pile - ‘o - amps” info and much more has been posted about a million times on this forum, do a search and expand your knowledge base!   :wink:

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:35 am »

Yep, I think there is even a 16 ohm tap inside your Model T, you could use that and get every bit as much power out of that amp with a 16 ohm load as you can at 2 ohms. It doesn’t make any difference at all to the amp itself; to the amp it all looks the same. That’s the reason for the output transformer.
Kind of a handy thing to know about when you are making a big pile of amps and cabs…  :roll:

Of course, ALL of this helpful “pile - ‘o - amps” info and much more has been posted about a million times on this forum, do a search and expand your knowledge base!   :wink:

yeah their is 2 4 8 16 ohm selector on the back, should have knowed that  :|, but I have enough amps cabs combinations available to get stuff going, but for know the rig I have right now is the best I've had to this date. If I had more space I could have 4 cabs on that Model T alone...! but I'd need extra jack plugs on the cabs to chain 2 per speaker out...

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
yeah their is 2 4 8 16 ohm selector on the back, should have knowed that  :|, but I have enough amps cabs combinations available to get stuff going, but for know the rig I have right now is the best I've had to this date. If I had more space I could have 4 cabs on that Model T alone...! but I'd need extra jack plugs on the cabs to chain 2 per speaker out...

Unless you made a couple of parallel Y connectors, or one of those handy series/parallel boxes that were being posted about recently. Of course you can quickly hit a stage volume that becomes plain silly when you just keep piling stuff up...

If you want really loud, like 120+ sustained dB, hang a few of these over the audience;

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2011, 10:30:30 am »

Unless you made a couple of parallel Y connectors, or one of those handy series/parallel boxes that were being posted about recently. Of course you can quickly hit a stage volume that becomes plain silly when you just keep piling stuff up...

If you want really loud, like 120+ sustained dB, hang a few of these over the audience;

haha, yeah the splitter box would be good but jam space can't take any more amps or cabs...!

I'm good with what I have now, I'm actually selling 2 Solarus/212 kit, one already sold to my drummer who plays guitar and the other one locally or a friend...only friend or local Sunn fans will get to taste Sunns...;) I'm keeping every Sunn pieces north of the border and close sorry! but you have enough in the US haha!

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
haha no I want my cranked tube tone, Model T normal 10, bright 6, master (((6))) !!!

and thank god we finally got a doom drum haha!

But we'll put a 24" ride soon...

to go against this:

Offline interloper

« Reply #279 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:13 am »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:11:20 am by EdBass »