Author Topic: T50C settings  (Read 1474 times)

DP

T50C settings
« on: February 20, 2003, 10:45:42 am »
Hi All,
I recently acquired an almost new T50C 112 combo.  It seems the midrange equalizer knobs act a little odd (almost nothing happens unless they are set on "1", at which point they are sensitive to wiggling), and the gain control on channel 2 seems EXTREMELY sensitive.  So far I have only used it on the 12W setting.  Anybody with experience with this model?  Do you like it?  What are some good settings for various sound styles?

Sad to say and I'm sure everyone out there (at least on this forum) knows that Fender has discontinued the brand, so the name is once again dead and gone.  Hopefully not for long?
I have fond memories of my 200S in "the old days," and currently still have a Beta Bass 115 and an SR8200 powered mixer.

DP

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
T50C settings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 06:31:18 pm »
Do a quick google search for "HG Thor Guitar Labs" in Vestal, NY  Harris will tell you everything that you'll ever want to know about the T50C. I personally think that it's the best guitar combo that FMIC ever built. I'll also tell you that they tend to run a bit warm so you'll be doing yourself a favor if you keep a fan on it.  :D

RB
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

DP

T50C settings
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 06:57:32 am »
In checking the tubes, I found that 2 socket marked "12AX7A" actually contain 12AT7 tubes.  What is the difference between the tubes, and could that be a problem?  They are the same brand (Russian-made Fender/Groove Tube), so nothing looks particularly out-of-place.  
?????
DP

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
T50C settings
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 10:35:29 am »
A 12AT7 is a "medium mu" member of the family.  This means it has an amplification factor of 60.  It can have higher noise, and is not normally found as a preamp tube... but it's plate dissipation rating is 2.5 watts for each unit, which is why it is normally used as a reverb driver power amp.

The 12AX7 is the "high mu" member of the family, with an amplification factor of 100.  This is generally used in preamp stages because of it's lower noise... and each unit can dissipate 1.2 watts.  

Don't ever swap a 12AT7 reverb driver with a 12AX7 as it probably won't last.  Swapping a 12AX7 preamp tube with a 12AT7 is safe, will provide lower gain, and could provide additional noise.