Author Topic: Hi! First post, new to Sunn :)  (Read 3556 times)

Offline 0)))

Hi! First post, new to Sunn :)
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »
Hi!

Let me make a small introduction:

I'm 18 years old and I know Sunn because of the band Sunn O))). I started to research a bit about this brand, knowing that those were used by big bands (Queen, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, etc.) I thought that they must be really good. They ruled the world eh?

Wanting to Drone and experiment a little bit, and just for the sake of having one, today I finally bought it. It's a Mexican Concert Lead (Yes, I live in Mexico) and so far I'm very satisfied with it, it's used, of course, and I got it and a Sunn Footswitch for 112 dollars (Converted from 1,550 Pesos).

I have no Sunn speaker yet, I'll buy it next week if everything goes right. So I just connected it to a speaker I had abandoned in my room. The little beast is brutal, experimenting, I turned all the knobs to 10 except volume, (volume was at level 1) and connected a Boss Metal Zone pedal.

The room shaked. So soon I'll be able to drown in Drone :D

So yeah, I'm pretty satisfied, but can anyone tell me a bit more about this model? Maybe how old it might be?

Here's a picture :)

It's in good shape :)

And definitely this is not the only Sunn gear I'm going to get ;)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi! First post, new to Sunn :)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:43 pm »
Mid to late 1970's. The black and silver Concert series came out in the early 70's, the black and red, like yours, a little later. IIRC, there's not a lot of difference between the two, and though the later Concert amps are rated 200 watts @ 2 ohms, there are those who recommend not running them at 2 ohms. Given that, I'd stick to two 8 ohm cabinets or one 4 ohm cabinet. 200 watts is only 1.25 dB greater than the 150 watts it puts out into 4 ohms, so the amount of power wouldn't make a significant difference.

¿Donde está usted en México?
Isaac

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:19:46 pm »
Welcome to our place in the Sunn, my young friend  "O)))."  Looks good and will only be better with the Sunn cab that goes with it.  Enjoy!   8-)
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline 0)))

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:45 pm »
Hey, thanks for the replies!

Mid-late 70's!? Way older than me :D But I love it :) And I live in Mexico City ;)

And here's the footswitch:

Is that the one that goes with it? It works, the distortion channel, the Reverb/Boost one doesn't click, I'll have it checked and repaired.

So... I got good equipment on my hands?

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:07 am »
Welcome.  I, like you, am still fairly new.  I believe, but am not positive so don't quote me on this, that we are some of the young(er/est) posters on here.  I think this is a good thing.  We can learn a thing or two(which seems to happen in almost every thread here for me) and continue the amazing Sunn legacy.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:59 am »
Hey, thanks for the replies!

Mid-late 70's!? Way older than me :D But I love it :) And I live in Mexico City ;)

And here's the footswitch:

Is that the one that goes with it? It works, the distortion channel, the Reverb/Boost one doesn't click, I'll have it checked and repaired.

So... I got good equipment on my hands?

Let us know if you have further problems with that foot switch.  I think I have that footswitch and no amp to go with it.  I'll check for sure when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I have that one.

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:27 am »
That is the same footpedal that i got with my Concert Bass in 1973. Enjoy!
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline madaradio

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:23 am »
same footpedal I have with my 1974 concert lead.  I still can't believe the tone this amp puts out.  So good!