Author Topic: WANTED TO BUY: Sunn Beta Lead Head/Combo  (Read 4744 times)

rick.heil

WANTED TO BUY: Sunn Beta Lead Head/Combo
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:55:03 am »
Looking for a Sunn Beta Lead head (with or without cab) or a combo that is working well.  Preferably in decent cosmetic condition.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:02:11 am »
I have a Beta Lead 4X10 combo (removable head), Sunn AlNiCo 10's with no issues, one 1/2" ding to the wood in the tolex, a couple of cracks in the handle, but otherwise VERY clean, all the original knobs, etc.. It's just (I pick it up tomorrow) been gone through and brought back to "as new" spec electronically, some fresh caps, and a couple of replaced, matched transistors. With the original footswitch. I'll have pics available by Sun. 3-26-06, I plan to have it on eBay by 3-31-06, and I want $495 for it.
Are you a player?

rick.heil

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:03:30 am »
are you doing a normal-style auction or a "buy it now" type deal?
$495 seems about right.  any idea about shipping vs. pickup? obviously, pickup would probably be easier.

i'd love to see the pictures, refreshingapathy@NOSPAMbluebottle.com
(just take out the NOSPAM).

Offline rusty rat

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 05:38:57 pm »
I sold a near mint 4x10 combo about a month ago for $200. Maybe I should have listed it, but I sold it to a friend to give to his kid for his band. I'm looking for a footswitch for it now.

Has anyone ever rewired a beta lead for a 1/4 jack to switch channels via a generic footswitch? It looks easy enough by the schematic.

rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:45:05 am »
STILL LOOKING TO BUY A BETA LEAD COMBO!!!!

Offline Aden

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 02:02:34 am »
You and everyone else.

Honestly, Right now they're almost breaking $500 on ebay.  Those things are going to be selling for $700+ soon.

I've been looking for one for awhile too.  I bought 4x10 combo with a removable head but the guy I bought it from screwed me and i'm currently in litegation. So if you see more than one pass that info this-a-way.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 11:40:49 am »
Quote from: Aden
You and everyone else.

Honestly, Right now they're almost breaking $500 on ebay.  Those things are going to be selling for $700+ soon.

I've been looking for one for awhile too.  I bought 4x10 combo with a removable head but the guy I bought it from screwed me and i'm currently in litegation. So if you see more than one pass that info this-a-way.

I still have this;

Quote from: EdBass
I have a Beta Lead 4X10 combo (removable head), Sunn AlNiCo 10's with no issues, one 1/2" ding to the wood in the tolex, a couple of cracks in the handle, but otherwise VERY clean, all the original knobs, etc.. It's just (I pick it up tomorrow) been gone through and brought back to "as new" spec electronically, some fresh caps, and a couple of replaced, matched transistors. With the original footswitch.

I posted this in March, and rick.heil contacted me, said he was interested, and then disappeared. I held on to it through April, and his indecision and my travel schedule caused me to miss my planned eBay window. Regretfully, this is fairly common when selling musical gear. Fortunately for me, Beta Leads have shot up in value on the used market since he left me hanging in early April!
It's easy to see why these amps are becoming very desireable. I just got back from the amp show in LA (www.ampshow.com), and although it was geared towards high end/boutique tube gear, at this venue the Beta would hold up tone wise (in an 80's chainsaw kinda way) better than just about any SS amp I'm familiar with.
There are some issues I didn't realize when I posted the amp however.
The right side speaker cones were creased/dented, probably by the footswitch during transport, and I didn't notice it until I took them out of the cabinet. There is no penetration through the cones, so I straightened them out and reinforced the areas with latex sealer. Shouldn't effect the integrity of the cones, as I said, NO actual penetration, and the very low mass of the latex should have little or no effect on the tone.
I have detailed pictures if anyone is SERIOUS!

PM me if anyone is interested. Make that "REALLY" interested.

I'll be at Tone Fest '06 (http://www.tonefest.com/main.htm) if anyone is interested in the Chicago area. I could send it along with the other amps I'm shipping in for the show and could save a potential buyer the transportation charges.

rick.heil

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 07:34:50 pm »
Litigation!??! Yikes. Good luck on that one.