Author Topic: Sunn logo history  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Stevegan

Sunn logo history
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:41:01 am »
Hey yall, I'm trying to get approximate dates on a new head that I recently purchased - I remember reading an old thread that featured all of the various logos Sunn has use throughout the years and their dates of usage, but searching has not helped me find it again.
I was hoping that someone out there could link me to it, maybe we could even sticky it with other identifying features such as grille cloth going my time period.

Thanks in advance!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn logo history
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:22:40 pm »
The early "smiley face" logos were pre-'66, and all of those were top control with paisley tolex, the common "Sunn O))" logos continued through the 70's, but they added the "®" in '69; the same time they switched to the rectangular pattern grill cloth.
All of the above could be changed however, and the surest way is to find the inspection date on the chassis, usually written in grease pencil on the chassis or on a white and green inspection sticker.

Or... post some pics here and I'm sure someone can narrow it down for you pronto.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:42:38 pm »
...they added the "®" in '69; the same time they switched to the rectangular pattern grill cloth.
EdBass, I'm trying to find new grill cloth for my 1969 Sunn Sentura II. Is the presence of the "®" on the logo plate an accurate indicator of whether the grill cloth is pre-69? I don't know when in 69 mine was made.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 06:12:40 pm »
I would not rely upon the Sunn badge....too easy to change. The 1st style grille cloth is black and silver in a fine diagonal pattern, similar to Traynor. There are plenty of threads on this. The 2nd style grill cloth is somewhat similar to Fender mid-sixties cloth except turned 90 degrees so it runs vertical. Wendell Fabric still makes this 2nd style (or a very close version) but you have to buy a minimum of 5 yards....a bit over $200 as I recall.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:16:06 pm »
Probably the rectangular pattern. The ® and the rectangular pattern were post '68, however there were some anomalies between model years with several parts, probably to use up existing parts inventory.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:18:06 pm »
I took a picture of mine. It's definitely the old stuff. The Acoustone 4540 compares very favorably except that the sample on the website is upside down from my actual cabinet.