Author Topic: Ok..Need the full story, full-er story?? or ?? Sunn Enforcer "Uncle Ted's" Amp?  (Read 19567 times)

Offline sunn-tanned

It was a very impulsive buy.... :|
 I just was thinking about those amps and went to go look to see what was out there and bam!  :-o :-D This is an early one so I'm sure without the mod but what the heck.

I did finally get a full stack with the A&B cabs a couple years ago which was cool as heck 8-)

Actually all my vintage collection will be going up for sale in the near future.

Offline sunn-tanned

Hey did you ever find a source for those corners? I could sure use some for restoring.

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
No, there is no source for those corners other than savaging from other amps.  I ended up buying a doa stinger just for the corners.  Those corners were made to SUNN's order.  They cut a corner off of a Kleenex box and used that as the original.

Here is a message from member Rex B from some years ago...

Hey Steve

No problem, you are welcome to send me messages directly through here, and I am more likely to find them than if you were to post them on the forum.

The cabinets on your Enforcer gear were designed slightly after I left Sunn to work at Fender, but I am somewhat familiar with their heritage. The cabinets of this final pre-Fender era were made by a company in Troutdale Oregon called "Bennett". They were done using a technique called Miter-Fold. I looked for Bennett Cabinets in Troudale on Google, and did not get a hit, so they may not be there anymore. I THINK the edging is a stock vinyl extrusion from some plastic fabricator , but unfortunately, I don't know who.

The corners have a more interesting story. Larry Davis, the mechanical engineer at the time, told me he took a plastic stacking Kleenex box, and cut the corners off at a 45 degree angle, (probably on a bandsaw). They used these as a pattern to make an injection mold for the corners. This is why those corners have kind of a sharp edge on them, and undercut toward the cabinet: they really should have beveled them the other direction so they didn't catch on things when you try to slide the cabinet. People have also been cut on them. 

Regardless, I'm pretty sure Sunn owned the tooling on these, and they are probably not available through a 3rd party. You MAY try to contact Fender to see if you can get any from them, it's possible they may have some old stock. They may also have some of the edge molding, but I am pretty doubtful on both counts. I do suggest that you put a post on the forum asking if anyone has the molding and corners. Some of the employees from that era of Sunn may be more familiar with the suppliers. I would also suggest sending a message to Don T on this forum, he was involved with purchasing and production during this time.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your Sunn gear !

Rex B

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:22:28 am by Watson »

Offline sunn-tanned

:-(

Well some sad news, the Enforcer amp and 4X12 cab purchased off Reverb was lost by UPS.  :x

It reached it's destination hub which by mere coincidence is in "Tualatin Oregon" where it was originally made.
UPS is just down the road where the old Sunn plant used to be.....hmm trying to find it's way back home?
 :-o 
The head and cab were packaged together as well. It was scheduled out for delivery (signature required) on the 19th. Nothing more from there... Of course there is a "lost package" report and I should be covered by insurance in the event it doesn't show up but the question lays WHO in the &#%@ HAS IT!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:53:00 pm by sunn-tanned »