Author Topic: Sunn Concert bass amp for sale - minus power amp pcb  (Read 8476 times)

Offline rot gut

Re: Sunn Concert bass amp for sale - minus power amp pcb
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:24 pm »
I'll give you $75 and even have someone pick it up.

Offline Monsieur Lebeaux

Re: Sunn Concert bass amp for sale - minus power amp pcb
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:32 am »
I am dead serious about the price.  I'm not trying to be rude, and I would pay for shipping of course.  Silver faces generally go for around $250 in working condition... I've got a buddy that scored one in perfect shape for $100 about a year and a half ago, and that was from Music Go Round.  I figure it will cost an extra $50 or so for parts, plus quite a bit of time to borrow my other buddy's red-knob concert bass, open it up, trace the circuit board, make a parts list, order parts, make a circuit board, drill it, and mount it all up.  If I valued my time at minimum wage, I could say that would be worth about $100.  That's being optimistic.  

How long has it been since this thing worked?  It could easily need more than just the power amp PCB.  Whenever I buy a vintage amp I always expect to at least replace the electrolytics, which I can do if necessary, but I don't have a variac, so that requires a trip to the local amp tech to ensure it's brought up to speed properly.  More money.  

I've been burned before from buying amps in non working condition.  I bought an Ampeg VT-22 a few years ago for a decent price that only needed a 12dw7 tube to function properly... according to the seller.  I bought a tube for it and it didn't last ten minutes before smoke started coming out the top and the amp died.  It needed a full cap job because the amp had been stored in the garage for who knows how long before the guy decided to unload it on some sucker.  My $300 amp wound up costing an extra $300 for new tubes and a cap job, and eventually an extra $200 to finally get everything ironed out and working properly.  But all it supposedly needed was a $15 tube.  I could have bought two VT-22s in perfect working order for what I spent on that thing.  

You said the amp was given to you, so whatever you get out of it is pure profit.  If you don't like the offers, put it on Ebay and see what you get for it.