Author Topic: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps  (Read 79471 times)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Pic Post of famous players playing Sunn amps
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »
on closer inspection, you can see a model T with the chassis painted white.

No, you might. Mind pointing this out?

Offline cromag

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 06:17:52 pm »
oh joe!    almost dead center.   right above the cymbal bag that is leaning on the cab.   i guess it's not the "chassis" but the "body" of the amp.   what is the "body" known as?  maybe my incorrect part name description threw you off. :mrgreen:

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 08:07:03 pm »
  Hi there,it looks to me like a Model T with the tolex taken off the wooden frame.I think it's just bare plywood,not painted white,but I could be wrong,Mel.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 11:09:34 am »
oh joe!    almost dead center.   right above the cymbal bag that is leaning on the cab.   i guess it's not the "chassis" but the "body" of the amp.   what is the "body" known as?  maybe my incorrect part name description threw you off. :mrgreen:

Yep, I was looking for a white chassis.

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 03:44:27 pm »
that's soma's white head. it's a red knobber. it's the one i think he's had the longest, at least from pics it seems like. i love it's albino look.

Offline justinmilwaukee

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 07:49:33 am »
i am 99% positive that the big amp collection is NOT Sunn 0))). they actually run through a mixture of sunn, marshall, ampeg, and even orange cabs. ive seen them use orange heads and ampeg heads as well. here are a couple images of their incredibly impressive backline. seeing this band is a total body experience. you actually FEEL the music. one of the pics has a clear picture of the white model t you all are speaking of.

Offline cromag

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »
you know the band is called SUNN, and not "SUNN O)))" right?

a friend of mine in the band meatjack (r.i.p.) and his solo venture darsombra has a first gen model T that someone painted all red.  that looks neato too.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 05:11:34 pm »
It still looks like they just pile up anything they can get their hands on... :roll:

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »
you know the band is called SUNN, and not right?

a friend of mine in the band meatjack (r.i.p.) and his solo venture darsombra has a first gen model T that someone painted all red.  that looks neato too.

Hmm... isn't "SUNN O)))" pronounced as "sun"?

Is this not the group we are disgust... uh, sorry... discussing?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=242281886

But seriously... once they can dry off from their showers and get their instruments in tune... this group might be able to actually play something. After all, they have released a lot of CDs just based on their attempts to get in tune!!

Color... Well, I have seen too many gurus argue over either the color or what the stuff is made out of that they paint their guitars with... as to which provides the best tone to a solid body guitar...

Heck, I'll even concede that the color of the chassis will have a "sub-tile" effect on the tone. Especially for a tube amp. Yep. yep. yep...

(After all, I could make a killing selling Krylon... paint the chassis... the case, the tubes, the transistors... Oh I know - the cable... protection from the fog... and if all of them just start sniffing the Krylon...  :evil: )

Offline cromag

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 07:48:57 pm »
yes, it is pronounced "sun".  that's why i can't understand why anyone would type the o)))'s.   they are silent.

in my never ending quest for sunn gear, i was in a  music shop in state college, pa. asking if the guy had any sunn gear.  the guy said "nope.  but i wish i did.  the prices of those things have gone through the roof ever since that band sun-oh has come on the scene".  i chuckled and walked away.  then i went in to another shop and bought a sun-oh concert lead and 4x12L cabinet.

and joe, yes, i think the band SUNN is extremely over rated and can't understand the hype about them at all.  i let my step son-oh plug in all my sunn gear, tune down, close his eyes, and play guitar with his feet.  i record it and sell the recordings on ebay as sunno))) bootlegged live shows.

eh, maybe i'm just jealous because i didn't think to do what they do first.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 01:43:29 am »
in the weary words of bobby d "...dont criticize what you dont understand".
and matters of taste are indisputable.
i love the band and the music they make-have talked w/ the the two main members-have heard their earlier music,(they c a n play...)
but drone music is not yer every day stuff and if you want to learn what it is-listen to some Lamonte Young and Pandit Pran Nath, etc. Drone is very old and playing it in this ADD modern world doesnt sit well w/ a lot of people.
maybe you will be enlightened
maybe nott
stan
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 08:54:41 am »
i love the band and the music they make-have talked w/ the the two main members-have heard their earlier music,(they c a n play...)
but drone music is not yer every day stuff and if you want to learn what it is-listen to some Lamonte Young and Pandit Pran Nath, etc. Drone is very old and playing it in this ADD modern world doesnt sit well w/ a lot of people.
maybe nott
stan

Let me make sure I've got this right; People actually pay to listen to one note for 3+ minutes?
Well, if so, my hat's off to them, this is the best marketing scam since pyramid schemes were popular in the 80's.
When I think of all that time I wasted learning to actually play a bass guitar... I could have just plugged in a bass, cranked up the amp, knocked it off of it's stand and recorded it :roll:.
To each their own for sure, but as far as "enlightened"? Well I'm not sure about that, but I guess I can see the attraction for a beginning player. Everyone who plays knows the type; someone who wants to call themselves a "musician" without taking the time it takes to learn to actually play an instrument.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, almost every real musician started out as a "wanna be".
This phenomenon probably also goes a long way towards explaining the popularity of "Guitar Hero" :-D.

Offline cromag

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 09:07:59 am »
"Let me make sure I've got this right; People actually pay to listen to one note for 3+ minutes?
Well, if so, my hat's off to them, this is the best marketing scam since pyramid schemes were popular in the 80's"

exactly!  that is why i am maybe a wee bit jealous.  i could do that stuff all day.   i will give them credit though.   they pull off live what they have recorded.   so, it isn't just "o.k., play whatever for 20 minutes and i'll keep the tapes rolling".

and yes, those two are very talented guitar players.  that's why it is sad that they waste their time doing this.  but at the same time, they probably make more money with the band SUNN than any of the good bands they were a part of.  such as engine kid, khanate, burning witch and the ever so amazing goatsnake.  all the bandwagon jumping "hip" kids LOVE SUNN.  ask them about any of the other bands that i have mentioned.  chances are they have never heard of them.  that's what is so brilliant.  they sell tons of records, all the while laughing their way to the bank and in the face of hipsters.

not to mention that stephen o'malley (or soma as the cool kids call him) threw a stage monitor, destroying it, when they played emissions in 06.  as well as stole several bottles of not so cheap wine from the backstage area.  wow, i'm impressed.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »

I don't know who your weary "bobby d" friend is, but his statement is logically meaningless - it totally discounts the possibility of criticism from an "understanding person".

Criticism is a good thing (despite the irrational belief of the politically correct movement). Criticism is essentially why most of us no longer live in caves.

Hogwash. Matters of taste are disputed all the time. That's practically the entire job description of a "critic". Besides...

maybe nott

Excuse me... but didn't you just dispute my taste as "maybe" not as good as yours if I don't come around to your point of view?