Author Topic: which era (solarus content)?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline mws

which era (solarus content)?
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:42 pm »
Hi there,
I am about to take the Sunn plunge and have the option between an earlier 40 watt (with tube rectifier) Solarus and a later 60ish watt (with solid state rectifier).

Based on your experience, which one comes out on top? Is the 40 significantly easier to break up?

I'm looking forward to getting one of them and having something to contribute to the forum.

thanks,
mws

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: which era (solarus content)?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:06:47 pm »
It really depends on what you're looking to do. They both sound incredible. I've got the later version, and as I've said before, I wouldn't trade it for anything. So...

Buy both!

Hi there,
I am about to take the Sunn plunge and have the option between an earlier 40 watt (with tube rectifier) Solarus and a later 60ish watt (with solid state rectifier).

Based on your experience, which one comes out on top? Is the 40 significantly easier to break up?

I'm looking forward to getting one of them and having something to contribute to the forum.

thanks,
mws
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:19:10 am »
Hi there,

thanks,
mws

I can't speak for the 60 watt version.  I have the 40 watt version.
IMO (and it's just that, my opinion) the 40 watt version doesn't break up until you crank the volume beyond the human ear's ability to withstand it. LOL   As someone posted in the Sceptre II/attenuator thread,  I believe the 40 watt Solarus is from an era when players were trying to loud CLEAN sound.  It does that fantastically, but if you want break-up/distortion,  put a petal in front of it.
(Just my $ .02)

Offline mws

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:10:47 pm »
thanks for the input, guys.
if you don't mind my asking, xsolarusx, what is it about your 60 watt that you love? I have a really nice fuzz pedal that might compliment either of these amps quite well.

Offline Jonathyn

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:38:25 pm »
My Sceptre has a solid state rectifier. My tech much prefers to use solid state rectifiers in his equipment for countless reasons, reasons which I don't understand yet, haha. But yeah, don't buy any of the early Sunn tube amps, before the Model T if you want break-up and/or distortion. Am I right Sunn fanatics? Was the Model T the first Sunn tube amp to really do the distortion thing? Or is there one I don't know about?...
1969 Sunn Sceptre w/ GT6550
Modern Laney 4x12 with replacement Sunn logo

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 06:33:49 pm »
I never understood why people like their amps to break up, when you could easily use a pedal for distortion. That way if you need to get really loud, and have a pristine clean tone ... you can have it. It's why I still have a crush on early Sunn amps, as well as the 70's OR80 & OR120 graphic models by Orange. If I want there to be distortion, I'd much rather step on a pedal.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:11 pm »
well the quick answer is power tube breakup is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.
cant get that w/ some electronics in a measlee pedal.
tho' i lov my T's i also heart my 70s Marshall SuperBass, w/ no master vol you got to smell them tubes justa burnin and a smokin-wheeeeee!!!!1!!
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »
My Sceptre has a solid state rectifier. My tech much prefers to use solid state rectifiers in his equipment for countless reasons, reasons which I don't understand yet, haha. But yeah, don't buy any of the early Sunn tube amps, before the Model T if you want break-up and/or distortion. Am I right Sunn fanatics? Was the Model T the first Sunn tube amp to really do the distortion thing? Or is there one I don't know about?...

I like the Sceptre and its clones if they have the mid boost switch. Otherwise, the distortion is bright and raspy. I used that tone on Jumpin' Jack Flash a couple of bands ago. Sounded perfect for that. I think it would work for other early Stones songs, too.
Isaac

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:04:03 am »
well the quick answer is power tube breakup is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

True true.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:24:58 am »
I love that I can play it extremely loud and clean, plus the fact that it adores pedals.  It sings, and is probably the most beautiful amp I've ever heard.

I play through an old ProCo Rat, since I know there won't be any tube breakup coming out of the amp anytime soon, especially being played at bedroom levels. The Big Muff also sounds amazing through it, though I find the Rat is a bit more flexible.

thanks for the input, guys.
if you don't mind my asking, xsolarusx, what is it about your 60 watt that you love? I have a really nice fuzz pedal that might compliment either of these amps quite well.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:15 am »
Oh, also the mid boost switch with the Rat going. So, so excellent.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T