Author Topic: Sunn Beta Lead Combo, Only One Channel Works  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Mr. Distortion

Sunn Beta Lead Combo, Only One Channel Works
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:23 pm »
Bought the amp w/ foot pedal from guitar center, had it shipped to the nearest store.  Took it home and realized that only channel A is working, channel B is just silent.  Both lights come on, so I know it’s not the fuse.  Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to fix?  I know it’s hard to tell me exactly what’s wrong without looking at the inside of the amp.  But can anyone give me a ballpark price to fix it or is it possible to do it myself?  Got it for $400 which seemed like a pretty good deal, considering average price in decent condition seems to be about $600 for the head.  I’m annoyed with guitar center, but I still would hate to return it.  Channel A sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:29:15 pm by Mr. Distortion »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Beta Lead Combo, Only One Channel Works
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:02:59 am »

Offline Mr. Distortion

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:28 am »
I connect the “to” to the “from” on channel B with no luck. :/

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
I would return it to Guitar Center and try to get them to repair it under some kind of implied warranty. They may have some kind of "As Is" policy that precludes this. IMHO you paid too much for an amp not in 100% working order. It could cost $300 or more to get the amp into reliable working order. It might be better to look for one that you know is broken and get it for $100.

These amps are getting to be 30+ years old and they need lots of TLC. If there is a professional band using these amps on the road, you can bet they have two spares for every amp on stage and they have had their amps completely rebuilt. In Beta amps there are parts that are obsolete or hard to find. It's getting harder to even find someone who knows how to work on them. One company is making clones of Beta amps, they might be your best option.

Offline Mr. Distortion

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:56:05 pm »
The guitar center said they would repair it, so hopefully they can.  Thanks for your input.