Author Topic: fender model t  (Read 1933 times)

Offline mdrv700

fender model t
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:59 pm »
Im buying the reissue model t, is it worth it? I bought it for 700 and I want to get some heavy tones, Coud I get a queens of the stone age to mastodon sort of tone? I know some of you purist will give me shit but its sunn.

Offline cromag

Re: fender model t
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:23:19 pm »
700 is pretty steep.   but that head is damn fine.    i'd buy another if i came accross one.

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:23:40 am »
I wouldn't worry about the "purist" stuff, I think most people are over that (or should be).

Like cromag said, it is still a fine head. 

If you get it, if you're interested, JoeArthur has a page here that explains some interesting things that happen with the master volume knob (and the mid boost switch too).  The mid-boost mod should get you a better scoop to do something like Mastadon.

P.S., if you don't have Blood Mountain (new Mastadon CD), you should get it if you can, it's amazingly good!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:15:33 pm »
Rick, that page refers to the second-generation Sunn Model T made in the seventies, not the nineties Fender-era Sunn Model T.
Isaac

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:31:27 pm »
Yet again, my idiot is showing.

Thanks Isaac, sorry for the confusion.  I didn't realize that there was a second gen. by Sunn, was under the impression the second gen. was the fender model.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 02:19:49 am »
yeah that guy makes a big deal about the technical differences of the early Model T versions-
i'm here to say i have both the original and the redknob-i use them both and in performance you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
they both put out the most excellent huge bloom of guitar volume i have ever experienced and i come from early 70s Marshall SuperBass territory(which i still love also).
i have played the Fender Bullshit Sunns and sorry but totally different animal and nothing like the Originals.
yer mileage wont differ.
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 08:54:15 am »
I'm a bass player, and I notice a huge difference between original and second generation T's. The second generation has the mid selector switch, and the mid boost is always on. Might be fine for guitar, but sucks for bass. I did a couple of the mods on Joe's site, cutting the wire and bypassing the mid boost, and it's a far better amp now, for my purposes. And I can still crank up the mids for guitar use.

And yes, the Fender-era T is a completely different animal. From everything I've heard, it's a fine amp, but nothing like the old Model T amps.
Isaac