Author Topic: sunn foot switches?  (Read 4461 times)

Offline musicismath

sunn foot switches?
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:43:44 pm »
I have a sunn sentura 1 amp, and I'm looking to build a foot switch for it to control the reverb and tremolo.  what will I need to buy?  I already have a morley ab box that I'm willing to hack and lots of cables I can change the tips on.  As far as I know, I'll just have to find rca tips? 

the morley has two momentary switches.  will I need latching switches to make it work?  The morley also takes 1/4 inch tips.  can I just take a cable with two 1/4 tips, cut one off, re solder it to a rca tip and call it good?

Offline wildbill96

Re: sunn foot switches?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:24 am »
What type of connectors are on your amp for connection of the footswitch?  Two RCA phono jacks?  If so this is exactly what I was faced with in trying to find a footswitch for my Coliseum 880 head.  After exhausting my search for the real deal I just purchased a generic, two-button, latching footswitch that came with a 10' TRS cable that had 1/4" stereo plugs on both ends.  I then added a 1/4" stereo to dual RCA phono plug adapter cable on the amp end of the cable and it worked just fine with no soldering required.  If your amp requires dual mono, 1/4" plugs you should be able to buy a similar adapter cable.  By the way I used an Apex AFS2 footswitch that I purchased online since it was the only silver one I could find and I did not want black since the original Sunn footswtich would have been silver.  The adapter cable I purchased at my local Radio Shack.  I made up a couple of labels for the switches with my Brother label maker  ("distort" and "boost" in my case for my Coliseum 880). The total cost was less than $30.00 for everything including shipping for the Apex AFS2.  Let me know if you'd like to see photos.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:10:35 pm by wildbill96 »
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline letsneck

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »
Did your amp allow the LED's light up on the footswitch, or did you have to add a battery?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »
A vintage style Fender footswitch will work. It already has the RCA plugs.

Go here: http://tubesandmore.com/

Search for P-H271-A

Offline wildbill96

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »
The LED's do not really work at all without adding an external power source to the footswitch that I purchased.  What I mean but "not really" is that at high enough volume the boost LED will flicker and glow a bit but I have not been able to get the distort LED to light at all at any volume.
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:04 am »
You know,  I've seen two  genuine Sunn footswitches up for sale on E-Bay & Craigslist  just in the past two weeks or so.

Here's one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220669926437

Build one if you must,  but $50 for the original is a pretty good deal IMO.

Offline wildbill96

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:10:15 pm »
Please check again.  The $50 original Sunn footswitch you referenced is not an original at all nor is it a Sunn footswitch.  It's a modern-day Fender footswitch that that seller is claiming will also work with Sunn amps.  The original, vintage Sunn footswitch that is currently posted on eBay is listed now for $95 (was listed higher than that a few weeks ago).  It is the version labeled for vibrato (aka tremolo) and reverb.  I was looking for the version that was labeled distort and boost and although this footswitch would work just fine with my head it wasn't worth the extra cash for a vintage footswitch that wasn't the correct version for my particular head. :wink:
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline letsneck

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »
I think I am going to go with the "Switch Doctor" brand Sunn footswitch I found on Ebay. The seller is listed as a Top Rated Seller on Ebay and has great feedback. Thank you all for your help. I was going to try to build one, but the switch has LED's, it looks well made, and it will fit perfect in the empty spot on my pedal board. If I decide to go with it, I will post an update on the switch. Thanks