Author Topic: Ok so why?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline doc10039

Ok so why?
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
I know this has been done to death but here i go. In replacing the cap can the resistors are not of the correct value on the 20uF taps they are 47K and a 22K stacked, and a 100K and a 47K stacked. Was this done for some reason? As the schematic states they are supposed to be 33k and 15k. Correct me if I am wrong but when resistors are connected like this they equal the value of both combined. I am going to use 2 watt metal oxides for this application.

Thanks

Doc

Offline Greg_M

Re: Ok so why?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:45:17 pm »
Not sure what you mean by stacked but I'm guessing you mean parallel?

If you hook two resistors end to end, one after the other, you add the ohm value of each, same as with speakers. A 4 ohm and a 4 ohm in series would be an 8 ohm.  

In parallel it gets a little hairier. Parallel is when both ends of the resistors are connected next door to each other. If they had plus and minuses (they don't) it would be both pluses hooked together and both minuses hooked together. Here's a handy calculator for figuring resistors in parallel.

http://www.1728.com/resistrs.htm

If you are saying that the 47k and the 22k are in parallel then oddly enough they do equal 15k. Try it on the calculator

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Ok so why?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »
Sunn or whoever worked on the amp previously probably didn't have the right values and used those to "make" the right values. The amp doesn't care...it just sees a 15k and a 33k. You can fudge these around a bit.....these are what set the voltages for the stages they provide the B+ to. The earlier Dynaco transformer Sunns use lower voltages in the amp, so the preamp and phase inverter voltages are lower too because the schematic is the same as far as the dropping resistors. (Those are the ones you are asking about) The later Schumacher amps had higher voltages, and coorespondingly higher voltages for the preamp and phase inverter. In my Sonic 1 that I converted into a 200S (made in 1970 with Schumacher transformers), I duplicated the earlier amps in the preamp and phase inverter by changing the 33k to a higher value, thus making the tubes for those stages run on slightly lower voltages, which reduces the high end and makes the amp have less gain. It doesn't do the Geddy Lee overdrive sound as nice as it used to but thats ok for me as it sounds fantastic otherwise, with more mellow cleans like the earlier amps. Metal Oxide are what should be used for that application, and any other spot in the amp that needs a B+ dropping resistor, as long as the wattage rating for the resistor is adequate. There is no sound mojo for using the original carbon comp in this spot. Just use a single resistor with the value you need and make sure it is at least 2W for those two you mentioned, and you should be just fine.

Greg