Author Topic: Heavy Gauge Strings and Bass Frequencies  (Read 4920 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Heavy Gauge Strings and Bass Frequencies
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:25 am »
Bare with me if I sound like a simpleton. I understand that, generally speaking, guitar speakers don't take kindly to being used for bass applications. I'm wondering, however, is there a point at which the gauges on one's six-string guitar can be heavy enough and create frequencies low enough to damage guitar speakers?

I'm in a new band situation, and, although I prefer playing bass, we have a prospective bassist who's more accomplished than I, so I've been relegated to six-string duties. Still, I prefer heavy strings and absurd low-end, so my lowest four strings will be D'Addario bass strings starting with a low E of either .70 or .65. After trying this last night, my 12" celestions sounded like they were struggling, even at low levels.

Am I pushing my luck? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:52:08 pm by jdfarrell81 »

Offline pickinatit

Re: Heavy Gauge Strings and Bass Frequencies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:57 am »
Are you still tuning those strings at bass guitar octaves? Or at higher 6 string guitar octaves?  I would consider still using my bass cabinets to play thru and spare the Celestions.  I have a Solarus with the original 2 x 12 cab that I recently put a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60.  I'm not sure that I don't like the tone I get playing the Solarus thru my Avatar B210Neo (Bass cab) anyway, even for a regularly stringed 6 string guitar.  Just my $ .02

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:12:27 am »
Much thanks. I appreciate your insight.

I'm only tuning down to C#, so I'm staying well within guitar range, but my ears tell me something may be amiss.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:32:18 pm »
Much thanks. I appreciate your insight.

I'm only tuning down to C#, so I'm staying well within guitar range, but my ears tell me something may be amiss.

I'm under the impression that so long as the lower frequencies(which a typical guitar speaker may not handle well) aren't being pushed too hard at too high a level, you should be alright.  If you don't already use an EQ, maybe have one just to cut the lows down, if you notice the speaker being driven a bit too much.  Or, set up a crossover for your guitar and bass cabinets, since you can never have too many cabinets. :)

In any event, a lot of bands play tuned to A or A#, but it's never a bad idea to be safe all the same.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:51:32 pm »
+1 for true words and sage advice.

set up a crossover for your guitar and bass cabinets, since you can never have too many cabinets.