Author Topic: SUNN photos anyone??  (Read 53038 times)

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: SUNN photos anyone??
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2007, 09:34:33 pm »
I loved my muff's smoothness but I hated that it sucked the low-end out.

that is well put!
i play very very very loud w/ a bunch of Model Ts and 2X15 and 4X15s and keep trying to use my old opamp BigMuff but it dont get subb like i wanna-so i end up w/ my old '81 Rat and all iz well here in
 <S T A N OSAUR> landd.
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline paco)))

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2007, 02:16:48 pm »
Howdy, here's my collection awhile back (before I got married) I have since sold the Model T, collisium stack, & 300T. I now play through a 190B & beta bass with a 1x15 & that 2x15 cab. I also attached a very old pic circa '87 of my 1st Sunn experience which was the 2 folded 18's & a collisium head ($600 I think) at a local music store. It was a bone crusher & very fun to tote around. I wish I still had that rig but maybe one day??? Man, when I see these pics together it makes me wonder if I will ever get out of my garage  :|

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2007, 08:53:48 am »
What color is that Ric 4001, Paco? It doesn't look red enough to be a Fireglo. Autumn Burst, maybe?
Isaac

Offline paco)))

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:09 am »
It's an '80 autumn burst or glo I can't remember exactly what they called it. I bought it about 10 yrs ago from a frat boy here in Norman OK (OU) for $400! It was mint in the case without a scratch on it. He said it was no use to him since he couldn't "slap" it. I laughed & promptly paid him :-D I have since put on a custom pick guard I milled from aluminum, it really looks cool with all the chrome & looks great on stage. It's the second one I've had but I really didn't like my first one much. The action & feel were very different from this one. It was a 4001 also & I believe around the same time too but just didn't have the "feel" I liked. I will NEVER sell this one though, you know when you find true love  :wink:

~Chris

Offline schmeck

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2007, 06:21:44 am »
Here's my bargain of a life time, $35.00 @ a garage sale. it was in rough shape 15 yrs. in a basement
(mold & mildew). I recovered tolex ,new grill cloth , 15" drivers, recapped, resistors that were out of tolerence
new tubes except for long plate mullard 12ax7 that was in it, still sounds great.NOS  RCA 6an8, GE 5r4ga
rectifier, Tungsol (new) 6550's. For the purist's out there it's not all stock but it's mine and i love it!!!!!
100% of the work was done by myself, so if ya don't like the looks,close your eyes sit back and listen! LOl
Peace,Schmeck

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2007, 12:11:20 pm »
Here's my bargain of a life time, $35.00 @ a garage sale. it was in rough shape 15 yrs. in a basement
(mold & mildew). I recovered tolex ,new grill cloth , 15" drivers, recapped, resistors that were out of tolerence
new tubes except for long plate mullard 12ax7 that was in it, still sounds great.NOS  RCA 6an8, GE 5r4ga
rectifier, Tungsol (new) 6550's. For the purist's out there it's not all stock but it's mine and i love it!!!!!
100% of the work was done by myself, so if ya don't like the looks,close your eyes sit back and listen! LOl
Peace,Schmeck

Nice.

What's the knob where the second input jack should be?

Offline schmeck

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2007, 01:20:50 pm »
Thank you, I really worked hard on it, it was pretty much a basket case.The knob is a 2meg pot on the input
circuit, it acts as a gain control for a little more distortion as I play guitar through it. There's also a small switch just to the right of the power switch (red tip) that controls a 110v brushless fan, no noise at all.
all mods are easily reversable no holes drilled. I really didn't know what it was when I found it, just that it was old and a tube amp, half way to my van two guys ran up to me desperately asking me if i wanted to sell it,
that gave it away that I had something :-D lucky me!
Here's a back shot along side my "Christmas Tree" :-D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:45:33 pm by schmeck »

Offline djc

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2007, 05:14:04 pm »
wow.  you kinda suck.
great find, congrats!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:28 pm »
Peace,Schmeck

Way to keep the Sunn shining, brother! Considering the popularity of Sunn at its peak, I've often wondered how many of those old gems are in basements, attics, garages, etc. just waiting for someone like yourself to trip over them.

Offline schmeck

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2007, 07:15:43 pm »
Yeah, kinda but at least it didn't fall into the hands of someone who would have just put stickers all over it. ie:(Squire tele custom in the background)LoL Belongs To neighbor kid that comes over to play, he's got tons of raw talent, 17yrs old writes his own music that i even enjoy I'm 43,but his sense of asthetics :? oh well.
I gave him this old Westone as an early graduation present under the condition if he put a sticker on it or didn't graduate I would do a Pete Townsend (Big Finish!!!!) on his head with it! :evil:
Thanks,Ed DJC,Joe I really appreciate the compliments :-)

Offline wibassplayer

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2007, 10:05:58 pm »
Great collection and what's wrong with the 8-string basses?  I've got an old Hagstrom 8-string that rocks really well through my 2000S with two original JBL D140F speakers in the cabinet.

I'll try to get some photos together of my sunn 2000S and my basses.

Looking forward to being in this forum as I didn't know there were any for sunn users.

Happy Holidays!

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2007, 04:29:48 am »
Hi,

question to schmecks great looking stuff:

"There's also a small switch just to the right of the power switch (red tip) that controls a 110v brushless fan, no noise at all."

Did U ever have "overheating" problems with the 200s?

Greetings

Oli
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline schmeck

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2007, 04:57:24 am »
Nope, cuz I don't have a 200s, I know, I know same thing but I just had to say it, sorry. :-D
Seriously no overheating problems more of a precaution the existing holes were  perfect for fan to blow
outwards, It just circulates the air nicely on really hot days without creating any cold spots, infared thermometers are so cool!  :-D sorry again lol Schmeck

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2007, 04:05:55 am »
Hi,

ahh, I see. Good thing to do, I think. Your equipment looks really gerat. Was it difficult to get the new grill cloth on front (of your , close to the 200s, Sorado?  :wink:)

Thanks & Greetings

Oliver
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab