Author Topic: HARDWARE question  (Read 2925 times)

Offline george

HARDWARE question
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:43:02 pm »
Anyone know where to buy the metal corners used on the early 1970's Sunn cabinets?

THX

Offline 1keoni

Re: HARDWARE question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:03:52 am »
Try vibroworld.com.

John

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:58:15 pm »

Are the corners "that" different?

Seriously, I go out and buy the first set of metal corners I come across, and I've never had one fail to fit.

Just lucky maybe?

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:59:12 pm »
Last I heard Zach at Vibroworld had closed up shop, moved locations, then went on tour with Robert Cray as an amptech, and hadn't opened Vibroworld back up again. Thats been at least a year though since I heard anything more about it. Has Zach started up Vibroworld again?

(I suppose I could check since he's across town but I'm too lazy!) :)

Conrad had a line on some corners that were close I think.....you may want to email him and ask.

greg

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 02:39:51 am »
Go to fliptops.net.  They have the Sunn Cab corners.  ampwares.com has the Sunn Style Tolex .   I use both and they are so very similar.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:58:58 am »
Not all corners are the same. The radius of the curve is different, the tabs or ears for the screws are different..the length of the ears are different. Mine look like the same ones on my Acoustic amps, narrow ears flaring out, 3/8" radius. I was able to buy 8 of them from Vetchking on ebay. He said he had more but I have yet to hear back from him. I wanted to buy a couple dozen since the ones on my Acoustics all look bad, like a poor chrome plating job. The Sunn ones still look good...just scratched up.

Offline george

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 01:45:37 am »
Okay Ampwares had the tolex (though they were really slow in shipping - backordered) and Fliptop has the best deal on corners. Can anyone point me to a good source for Sunn handles - are they similar to the ones used on Marshalls??

THX

Offline made by hand

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 06:21:18 pm »
a couple of years ago i did over all my sunn cabs and heads...new tolex..grill cloth...used the fender stuff...ran it the opposite way ..etc...i like my stuff to look new etc....ok...i had the same problem....rusty, dented ...smashed corners....then one day i was looking at an ampeg catalog...looking at the b-15 retro amps...hey...those corners look like sunn corners....called ampeg up....bought 160 corners off of them...they are as close as you can get....look at it this way....when you screw them on...over new tolex...and stand back....you will smile.....i did....my amps look new...now...the guy at ampeg asked...are you building amps...i said...i doing over a few ampegs and i wanted them to look new....if you call...you may or may not get them from them...like i said...it was at least, 4 years ago...they may not sell them anymore...who knows....just call...it's worth it....yup...there are sunn purist out there that like there sunn amps to look like junk...they won't do any of them over for the sake of keeping it original....hey...that's ok....when i walk into my amp room....and gaze on my dozen or so...2000s ....and 200s....and they are 1967 to 1970 amps...and they look like they were just made the day before...well///you all know what i'am trying to say...they just sound better because they look better...it like your car runs better after you wash and detail it....it goes for your amps too....believe me...the caps on the handles i put them on a high speed polisher...some i had to have renickled...it was worth it...it depends where your head is on this.....like i said...i just like my stuff to look new...i have a 67 fender bassman and bandmaster amps...did both the head and cabs over...they look new...i know it's all in my head but..they sound better....if your going to restore your sunn amp...make it look new again....the sunn god will bless you for it...smiles..Bob

Offline bishopbassist

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:31:31 am »
I just joined the sunn fourm and am glad to see there are oters like me out there.  I used to use a 200s back in the 60's and loved it.  I have had cabinet making experience and made cabines for a Gus Zoppi Music Center in the Detroit area.  I had ordered a number of three and two pronged corners nearly identical to sunn corners.  I think I still have a box of them in my shop.  If you haven't found your corners yet drop me a note.
Hugh

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 07:11:50 am »
I have had pretty decent luck cleaning mine off with some Bar Keeper's Friend and a scrub brush. I guess I'm not going for "like-new" looks, but it definitely got the black paint and dirt off the corners. Why do people paint those corners black anyway?
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:26:01 pm »
Yep, the ones Vetchking is selling are the same as Sunn used. i just swapped mine and put the scartched ones on the Acoustic.