Author Topic: Sunn rigs of doom  (Read 158211 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: Sunn rigs of doom
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2010, 08:21:48 pm »
man the all thing is wow! so mint! oh you guys make me crave for a Model T now...will get one soon or later!

saw those youtubes of it  :-o amazing is that a forum member by the way???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI25pLvPW1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbnyXFb0gOM
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline MusicFox

• Zoot Suit Riot
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »
I found a picture of a rig I used to own back in 1979. A 350L (Notice the stubbys) I had just turned 19. Didnt know how good I had it and returned the amp to get out of payments and bought a Fender bassman setup instead. (Wish I still had THAT) Fortunately I am enjoying my electrically restored 69 Solarus Head (40 watt) that I now possess.
Bands currently. For Fox Sake (Lead Guitar) Aces High (5 string Bass) Zoot Suit Riot (Tenor Sax) Miles to Midnight (Fretless jazz bass) Rockfish (5 string bass) Spent Youth (5 string bass) Tried as Adults (5 string bass)

Offline matto)))

« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »
:-o amazing is that a forum member by the way???
im pretty sure that's mike's set up

and that 350 head and cabs are amazing

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2010, 01:28:07 am »
Perhaps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4x1ic10BW8

Yeah those were mine, well kept secret  :wink:

jeez, I didn't realize how much weight I've gained until after watching this, haha.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2010, 01:28:35 am »

Oh man I have 2x15 fever now! How do those emperor's sound btw?

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline rot gut

« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2010, 07:01:11 am »
they sound amazing, i recommend getting one if you're in the market for a new cab and can wait on the build time.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »
Perhaps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4x1ic10BW8

Yeah those were mine, well kept secret  :wink:

jeez, I didn't realize how much weight I've gained until after watching this, haha.

haha cool! do you remember what pick-ups you use in that last youtube you've sent? that tone is what I like about Sunn! :-o
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »
P90's  :-D Not sure which brand, but they sound incredible regardless.

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »
P90's  :-D Not sure which brand, but they sound incredible regardless.

cool, and P-90 are singlecoil and still has enough power I guess?

if I can use 2 P-90 bridge & neck at the same time and not getting too much mud, I would be more than happy! :-D

I might try these just too see if like the kind of tone 1st:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-Gloss-Black-TRUE-Alnico-P90-FAT-and-Loud-_c_132.html

thanks for the info!

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »
correct, P90's are Single Coils BUT, don't sound the same (to me, anyways) as the typical strat style single coils. They're far more aggressive sounding, but they do sound pretty "stratty" when they're clean which is good. They're real diverse sounding, and rolling the tone knob around actually makes a huge difference in the sound of 'em. Then again, you gotta look at what your guitar is made out of as well.

That was the bridge pickup btw.

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »
correct, P90's are Single Coils BUT, don't sound the same (to me, anyways) as the typical strat style single coils. They're far more aggressive sounding, but they do sound pretty "stratty" when they're clean which is good. They're real diverse sounding, and rolling the tone knob around actually makes a huge difference in the sound of 'em. Then again, you gotta look at what your guitar is made out of as well.

That was the bridge pickup btw.

this is the specs:

mahogany body, maple top, maple neck, rosewood finger board...

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=230&CollectionID=6

I'm getting a set of Mean 90, just ordered them, just want to ear how it sounds...if I don't like them their's plenty of other kind to try...

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:15 pm »
Whoa, Les Paul Baritone!? NICE! I didn't know EPI made 'em. Yeah you're good man, you'll be in business. Keep in mind, P90's are pretty bright and mid rangy, but like I said, that tone knob on the guitar makes a huge difference

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »
Whoa, Les Paul Baritone!? NICE! I didn't know EPI made 'em. Yeah you're good man, you'll be in business. Keep in mind, P90's are pretty bright and mid rangy, but like I said, that tone knob on the guitar makes a huge difference

more mids is good I think because the baritone has tons of low end but less mids ans highs...I usually leave the Tone knob full on(the brighter setting), but last time I could notice the sound beeing too bright at high level...treble on the amp at 2 was the most I could stand...lowering the tone knob might help there.

I lack a volume and tone for each PU on the bari, specially for dual PU use like I want to try. the neck drowns the bridge into ridiculous amount of low end if I try to use both... :roll:

Hey check out those handmade P-90, sounds amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIt-rCOdEg&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:51:02 am by chev »

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:31 am »
Pretty off topic but it's a nice conversation!
P-90s are awesome in my opinion! The sound can't be compared with the true single coil sound. It's more "hot" and more aggressive and that's why they sound good with high volumes.
Chev you should definitely check a set to your baritone! I use a Fender Jaguar baritone with P-90s and they are great! The last couple of months I have installed one Seymour Duncan P-rails!
Is actually 3 pus in one... P-90, a rail (with kind of strat sound) and both together as a Humbucker!
If you like those GF tones, I believe this pickup deserves the extra money  :-D  
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/