Author Topic: Speaker cabinet ohm ratings  (Read 2196 times)

Offline mike

Speaker cabinet ohm ratings
« on: June 13, 2000, 07:05:00 pm »
Can anybody answer a question for me?  I own a Marshall JCM 600 (60 watts all tube) with two 12 inch speakers.  The amp has an extension speaker output. The owners manual says that when the internal speakers are connected, the extension cabinet must be 16 ohms.  I own two sunn speaker cabinets - both with two 15" JBLs.  Does anybody know what the ohms rating is of these old speaker cabinets.  One cabinet is a 200S cabinet and the other is a Sentura II.  Both have two 15" JBL's in them -- D130's or D140's.  They date back to the late 1960's.  I just don't want to risk damaging the Marshall amp I just bought.   Or does the ohms really matter that much?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2000, 11:16:00 pm »
: Can anybody answer a question for me?  I own a Marshall JCM 600 (60 watts all tube) with two 12 inch speakers.  The amp has an extension speaker output. The owners manual says that when the internal speakers are connected, the extension cabinet must be 16 ohms.  I own two sunn speaker cabinets - both with two 15" JBLs.  Does anybody know what the ohms rating is of these old speaker cabinets.  One cabinet is a 200S cabinet and the other is a Sentura II.  Both have two 15" JBL's in them -- D130's or D140's.  They date back to the late 1960's.  I just don't want to risk damaging the Marshall amp I just bought.   Or does the ohms really matter that much?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike;
My '70 Sunn 200S main output is rated at 8 ohms.So the orignial speaker cabinet should also be 8 ohms.
My '71 Sunn Sceptre (same circuit as your Sentura II) main output is rated at 16 ohms. So the original speaker cabinet should be 16 ohms. If you're up to removing LOTS of screws, take the backs off your cabinets and check the impedance of each speaker and the wiring of the speakers to one another....series or parallel. If in series the impedances add together for the total cabinet impedance. If in parallel, divide the impedance of one of the speakers by 2 for the total cabinet impedance.
Good Luck!

Ryan

Offline mike

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2000, 03:04:00 pm »
: Can anybody answer a question for me?  I own a Marshall JCM 600 (60 watts all tube) with two 12 inch speakers.  The amp has an extension speaker output. The owners manual says that when the internal speakers are connected, the extension cabinet must be 16 ohms.  I own two sunn speaker cabinets - both with two 15" JBLs.  Does anybody know what the ohms rating is of these old speaker cabinets.  One cabinet is a 200S cabinet and the other is a Sentura II.  Both have two 15" JBL's in them -- D130's or D140's.  They date back to the late 1960's.  I just don't want to risk damaging the Marshall amp I just bought.   Or does the ohms really matter that much?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Are the two speakers inside your Marshall combo 8 ohm models wired in series? If so, then the amp is seeing a 16 ohm load from the on-board speakers, and is set-up quite nicely to take an additional 16-ohm load from an extention cab(as suggested) for a resultant total load of 8 ohms...but I'm just assuming these values as I'm not a Marshall expert. Now, all of the Sunn 2x15" cabs(late 60's/early 70's)that I have had were two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel, resulting in a 4 ohm load. If you were to add the 200s cab to your Marshall combo, once again assuming the 12's are putting out 16 ohms, the amp would see a 3.2 load, not the best thing for a tube amp. The solution, of course, would be to rewire the Sunn cab in series for a 16ohm load, then everything would be fine. Verify, though, that the two JBL's are indeed 8ohms individually. Are you setting this up for guitar, in order to get a deeper, bassier sound?

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 08:55:00 pm »
Multi-meter aka:DVOM... volt/ohm meters, etc are MUCH easier. just insert a plug into the jack and read the DC resistance. Then you must interpret a bit. A typical 8ohm speaker will read about 6 ohms. A 16 ohm cabinet will probably show 12-13 ohms. These differences are due to the difference between DC resistance and the actual impedence that the amp "sees" when driving a speaker... which varies with frequency BTW.

DON'T overload your Marshall by loading with less than a nominal 16ohm load. Nothing might happen... but something expensive could!

: : Can anybody answer a question for me?  I own a Marshall JCM 600 (60 watts all tube) with two 12 inch speakers.  The amp has an extension speaker output. The owners manual says that when the internal speakers are connected, the extension cabinet must be 16 ohms.  I own two sunn speaker cabinets - both with two 15" JBLs.  Does anybody know what the ohms rating is of these old speaker cabinets.  One cabinet is a 200S cabinet and the other is a Sentura II.  Both have two 15" JBL's in them -- D130's or D140's.  They date back to the late 1960's.  I just don't want to risk damaging the Marshall amp I just bought.   Or does the ohms really matter that much?  Any advice would be appreciated.

: Mike;
: My '70 Sunn 200S main output is rated at 8 ohms.So the orignial speaker cabinet should also be 8 ohms.
: My '71 Sunn Sceptre (same circuit as your Sentura II) main output is rated at 16 ohms. So the original speaker cabinet should be 16 ohms. If you're up to removing LOTS of screws, take the backs off your cabinets and check the impedance of each speaker and the wiring of the speakers to one another....series or parallel. If in series the impedances add together for the total cabinet impedance. If in parallel, divide the impedance of one of the speakers by 2 for the total cabinet impedance.
: Good Luck!

: Ryan