Author Topic: getting shocked? no more!  (Read 5129 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
getting shocked? no more!
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:19 am »
Hi, I still get shocked by my Solarus and Sonaro amps sometimes... and I'm sick of it. :oops:

2 have a 3 prong and been tune-up by a tech, one is all original with the 2 prong cord.

I've eard about the death cap...where is it? I would like to make sure it's off...that might be the problem...

I hope it doesn't arm my valuable pedals in front of it.

It's bad because I can't use a mic or place a mic while playing or change pedal setup without getting shocked...?

thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:29:50 pm by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline george

Re: where is the death cap?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:15:38 pm »
Get one of these to start with - http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099774&CAWELAID=166610897

The line and neutral are swapped somewhere in your electrical system or amp connections. If any of this is a foreign concept - get a pro involved.

Do all your amps still have functioning polarity switches?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »
You should have the original amp updated to a three wire line cord. Most techs will remove the death cap when they do this. If you just remove the death cap but leave the two wire cord, the amp will always shock you and it could kill your effects pedals anytime it's plugged in. It doesn't even have to be turned on.

To protect pedals, always plug a cable into the amp (or guitar) first, then into the effect. Or, unplug the amp before connecting the effects. This will be a problem if you want to change guitars between songs. When using a two wire amp you could kill the effect when changing guitars and not be able to make a sound when the song starts.

PA systems can be a problem if they are not properly grounded with a three wire line cord. If it's not, it will cause nothing but problems, get it fixed. If the PA is properly grounded and you are using a two wire amp, touch the microphone with some metal part of one of the tuning pegs or a string on your guitar after it's plugged into your amp and the amp is on. If you see a spark, reverse the polarity switch on your amp and try again. If you can't eliminate the spark, unplug the amp and don't use it until it's fixed.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »
yeah I know the concept but when high voltage is involved I prefer to let a pro do it.

I usually plug my pedals together the guitar and then the amps...once everything is plug-in, everything is fine as long as I don't touch a mic? and the PA system we use is all new and grounded...

I'll have a friend who's a pro maintenance tech at work to do it...radio broadcast...He did a full re-cap on one of my Solarus and change the power cord, I think he told me about removing the «death cap» and that the polarity is bypass he said. My Sonaro head also been re-cap and 3 prong converted...

But I still get shock using the 3 heads...I want  him to check the 2 prong head and make sure nothing is inverted anywhere else! I was specially scared of using the 2 prong one for a while but since I have more space I'm using it but it does a whistle sound when I turn it on...looks like some caps are ready to die but it still sound nice and clean.

anyway, this all-original 40 years old amp needs a tune-up for sure!

by that time I'll try to test each head at a time...

thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:36:51 am by chev »
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:06 am »
Change all the cords to 3 prong.  Death cap is attached to the polarity switch. Have them take the polarity switch out of the circuit which includes the death cap.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »
Change all the cords to 3 prong.  Death cap is attached to the polarity switch. Have them take the polarity switch out of the circuit which includes the death cap.

I will finally get rid of the shocks! turns out my Sonaro head bought «serviced from a tech» with a 3 prong plug with the GND pin floating!!??

while flipping the polarity switch and measuring the difference between the head we had 40V and 70V AC at the input! damn!

now it will be fully check out like my other 2 Solarus fully re-tubed/cap and grounded!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:53:02 pm by chev »

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:49:09 pm »
I can't even remember how many times I have been nailed on the lips by polarity mismatch between the mic and the guitar (back in the ancient times).
(It makes you use profanity)

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »
Get one of these to start with - http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099774&CAWELAID=166610897

The line and neutral are swapped somewhere in your electrical system or amp connections. If any of this is a foreign concept - get a pro involved.
+1
I keep one in my gig-grab-bag and test all outlets being used...sometimes yahoos wire up outlets reversed with no regard for convention. I have also turned up power strips and extention cords with the ground pin missing. You could have one outlet that is reversed and the others correct

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:36 pm »

+1
I keep one in my gig-grab-bag and test all outlets being used...sometimes yahoos wire up outlets reversed with no regard for convention. I have also turned up power strips and extention cords with the ground pin missing. You could have one outlet that is reversed and the others correct

I use one powerbar for all the amps and pedals so no problem there.

I can't even remember how many times I have been nailed on the lips by polarity mismatch between the mic and the guitar (back in the ancient times).
(It makes you use profanity)

haha, before I felt like trying some vocals while playing but I got zap on the mouth! (profanity)! didn't feel like trying again...now I will! :-D

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »
I saw Jimi Hendix at Sick's Stadium once.
It was raining.
He got nailed a lot on the lips
(He pretty much hated Seattle)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: getting shocked? no more!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »
wow in the rain, no ground, that's dangerous!

I've found & fix the shock problem!

My Sonaro head that was supposedly serviced by a good tube amp tech hum hum...had a 3 prong plug installed straight on the original AC cable so the gnd pin wasn't plug anywhere!!! wtf! I'll never go see that guy!

so a brand new 3 prong cable was installed and a re-bias have been done...it was way too hot!

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
WTF?! He didn't put the ground anywhere!?!?!?! Definitely never go to that guy again. What a rookie mistake to make.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 11:57:25 am »
WTF?! He didn't put the ground anywhere!?!?!?! Definitely never go to that guy again. What a rookie mistake to make.

yeah the head was already serviced by that tech before I bought it, so I was confident it wasn't the problem since it was already re-tubed, biased and supposedly «grounded»!?

thank god, I have a friend and co-worker who's an excellent tech!

He took care of my 3 heads beautifully, I even got the service right at my rehearsal place to find the right cap for the tremolo rate and re-bias my KT-88...amazing! now everything should be fine for a couples of years! :-D

the 1969 80w Solarus he just service with all the new JJ's and KT-88 is fu%?& loud as hell now and stays clean! I can't play it higher than 2! crazy powerful! :-o