Author Topic: Whats my Sunn Penetrator ted nugent edition amp worth?  (Read 10983 times)

Offline tonyrowell420

Whats my Sunn Penetrator ted nugent edition amp worth?
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:59 pm »
I recently acquired a Sunn Penetrator. i know for a fact its extremely rare.....can anyone give me more info on this amp like what its worth?

Offline rot gut

Re: Whats my Sunn Penetrator ted nugent edition amp worth?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, I've never seen one before but then again I never look either.

Offline tonyrowell420

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
well shop around......you wont find another one for sale! if you want this am you will have to shell out serious cash,

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:49 pm »
This is a Sunn Enforcer, really. One went on ebay for 400 bucks three days ago. There were several of these made, Ted owns two in snakeskin, if I remember correctly.

They aren't worth BIG cash. They may be somewhat rare, but I've personally seen two or three Penetrators in person, and countless Enforcers, so they aren't ~that~ rare. So, I won't give you an exact number, because I have a moral issue with giving valuations based on a picture, and not a multimeter/hands on test. Anywhere between 400-600 bucks, is my guess. They just weren't all that spectacular... Frankly, this may be the only mediocre amp Sunn ever made.

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »
I disagree with the mediocre Sunn amp, they are bad ass. I have an Enforcer and it sounds evil to say the least. One channel was supposed to sound like a JCM800, the other like a Fender Twin - they put in giant transformers and it sounds nothing like either one of them. Its more akin to a Matamp than anything I've heard. For an early 80s amp, they sure didn't have a tone that was desired at that time. Today, yeah that tone is desired. And I hear a Black Matamp GTO120 weekly in practice, similar tone, not as much volume and not quite as pissed off sounding, but in the buzzsaw fuzz territory for sure. Outside of doom or stoner rock, I don't see them being good for much else honestly - but that's OK by me. Mine is in rock solid shape - and over the entire run of heads and combos over 3 years, less than 150 were made. I had my tech build a footswitch for me as well. I might need to sell mine also but because I am broke, not out of desire to - I love it and play it almost every week at rehearsal over my Orange, but my Orange is louder and I use it for gigs.

I'd say a real Penetrator, maybe $700-$800....

Rough and short iPhone video clip   - I'll see if I can shoot another at practice this week. This amp here has no fuzz or distortion pedals being used (pure amp gain), I'm tuned to drop C, and the volume is pretty low actually just a tad louder than speaking volume. Cranked it gets even more angry and would blow out the speaker on the iPhone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5cT-wvIMI
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:30:00 pm by doomedfuzz »

Offline tonyrowell420

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »
hahahaha your smoking crack the regular enforcer goes $400-600 this is the ted nugent edition the knobs got to 12 and its labeled penetrator and has his signature silk screened on it......as far as i have been told that didnt even produce the penetrator for a full production year, then sunn was bought out by fender and they discontinued the penetrator..........R-A-R-E!!!!!!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, I've never seen one before but then again I never look either.

Just like anything else. It has no monetary value unless someone is willing to exchange their cash for your amp. "rare" doesn't necessarily mean "valuable", it can also mean it was undesirable when it was available new...

tonyrowell420; Post a price, and stop trying to get bids for your amp or just stop posting. As I said, eBay is the site for bids.

Offline tonyrowell420

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »
fine i will do it this way..... 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:28:34 pm by EdBass »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »
fine i will do it this way..... 

No, you won't. Keep it up and you won't do anything else here, get it? If you want to post here, that's fine. If you want to dictate how the site is operated, that's NOT fine.

Offline tonyrowell420

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:36:14 pm »
really, i have to do it your way, even when it doesn't effect your bandwidth???????  if your gonna delete parts of my post go ahead and erase my profile
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:42:42 pm by EdBass »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
really, i have to do it your way, even when it doesn't effect your bandwidth???????  if your gonna delete parts of my post go ahead and erase my profile

Play nice, or don't play at all. Foul language doesn't go over well here. Express yourself, but at least act like a responsible citizen.

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
I disagree with the mediocre Sunn amp, they are bad ass. I have an Enforcer and it sounds evil to say the least. One channel was supposed to sound like a JCM800, the other like a Fender Twin - they put in giant transformers and it sounds nothing like either one of them. Its more akin to a Matamp than anything I've heard. For an early 80s amp, they sure didn't have a tone that was desired at that time. Today, yeah that tone is desired. And I hear a Black Matamp GTO120 weekly in practice, similar tone, not as much volume and not quite as pissed off sounding, but in the buzzsaw fuzz territory for sure. Outside of doom or stoner rock, I don't see them being good for much else honestly - but that's OK by me. Mine is in rock solid shape - and over the entire run of heads and combos over 3 years, less than 150 were made. I had my tech build a footswitch for me as well. I might need to sell mine also but because I am broke, not out of desire to - I love it and play it almost every week at rehearsal over my Orange, but my Orange is louder and I use it for gigs.

I'd say a real Penetrator, maybe $700-$800....

Rough and short iPhone video clip   - I'll see if I can shoot another at practice this week. This amp here has no fuzz or distortion pedals being used (pure amp gain), I'm tuned to drop C, and the volume is pretty low actually just a tad louder than speaking volume. Cranked it gets even more angry and would blow out the speaker on the iPhone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5cT-wvIMI

We all have opinions, buddy! I respect yours, but I've got mine. :D  :mrgreen: I just never clicked with 'em. It seems like there were a lot more made, I dunno, maybe i'm just lucky. 700-800 dollars is a little much for one of these, Uncle Ted's version, or not. You see all the garbage they put Les Paul's name on, don'tcha? A name on a product means next to nothing for me. My valuation stands. Peavey's knobs go to 12, too, buddy, just to letcha know.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:40:48 pm »
tony sounds like to me you bought yourself a sunn enforcer(penatrator) and i'm guessing you paid the $500 to $650 price for it and thought you could unload it here and double your money because you think its worth a mint fact is sunn amps only recently got popular again and those of us here on the board love our sunn amps, fact is thou just liek everyone else has said its only worth what someone else wants to pay for it and to help you along i'm looking at the blue book right now the penatrator sold for $1100 the enforcer sold for $950 , blue book value for a mint penatrator is $450 enforcer in mint is $350 to $400

i would suggest if you dont want it anymore put it in the classifieds at what ever price your wanting for it if someone wants it they will contact you or craigslist i would say give those a month or 2 if it hasnt sold then put it on ebay at the very least you will more than likly make your money back, being rude and acting how your acting on here will not help you sell it any quicker.
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline tonyrowell420

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:59 pm »
Actually I was helping a friend work on a house he just bought. And I found it in the attic and he gave it to me because I was doing work at his house for free.