Author Topic: Need Parts for a SUNN A212  (Read 3911 times)

Offline thanser

Need Parts for a SUNN A212
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:17:57 am »
I'm finally getting around to fabricating the UPPER rear panel for my beloved A212.  I have the plywood cut exactly, and now I'm looking for the TOLEX and the four wood screws to hold it in place.

Can anyone suggest where to find this SUNN tolex?  Or the four wood screws?

Yeah, sure.  I could go to Home Depot and use just ANY wood screws, but why not try to find the exact ones?   :-D  They have a wide head, like a built-in washer. 

I just emailed Steve at www.angela.com, asking about SUNN tolex, but maybe it's available some where else?

Thanks!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Need Parts for a SUNN A212
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:06:30 pm »
Exact Sunn tolex is like the Holy Grail. I haven't been able to find any, but if you get lucky, be sure to let us know!
I've been able to find Sunn compatable screws with the fancy washers at Home Depot, have you taken an old one there and tried to match them up yet?

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »
Whats the closest match to sunn tolex thats been found?

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
Yes, Steve at Angela Instruments at www.angela.com. Steve has been selling guitar and amp parts for over 20 years. He lists Sunn Tolex on ebay......just search for Sunn in Musical Instruments and his listing will pop up. I believe this is Fender's Sunn reissue tolex....the closest thing you are likely to find. You can find the screws from several vendors or local hardware stores (if they actually carry a range of small parts). You want #8 oval head, nickel (preferably) or chrome with matching "finish washers". Steve probably has these too.

Good Luck
Ryan

Offline thanser

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
Steve at Angela.com just replied to me - the Tolex is $29.00/yard.

Mojotone suggested this Tolex, at $15.00/yard:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=79709&pg=45012&id=7310001

They call it Fender Style Black Tolex / 54'' W, and it's close, but not exact.  Mine has a distinctive criss-cross pattern to it.

Not sure what to do at this point, and I only need enough to make a rear panel 4" high, by approximately 26" or so.  Hmmm...

I'd really like the EXACT tolex, to keep this amp as original as I can.  But $30.00 for small piece of tolex...?

I'll have to sleep on it.  And I'm heading over to Home Depot with one of the rear panel screws in a few moments to see if I can match it up.

Next, I'd like to replace my speakers with a pair that are as ORIGINAL as can be.  I have a pair of old CTS speakers stuck in there now, and I'm not impressed by the way they're mounted, either.  I'm looking for high-wattage speakers that will soak up the wattage and not break up.  50 watt speakers, I would imagine. 

Jensen?  Greenbacks?

Any comments on what would have gone into my A212 from the factory?

Thanks, everyone.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:23 am »
Any comments on what would have gone into my A212 from the factory?

The A212 originally shipped with 2 x 12" Sunn Transducers (128G-SP), 8ohm, 60 RMS Watts.

Offline thanser

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:36 am »
And a good replacement speaker for the original SUNN transducers would be...?

Thanks again.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:43:09 am »
CTS or Eminence alnicos with 1 1/2" voice coils are very close. Look for soft spiders, aluminum formers and paper surrounds.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:49 am »
Did the A212 come with the AlNiCo Sunn Transducers or the later ceramic magnets?

Offline thanser

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
My A212 came with what I'm told are CTS speakers.  I can post some images momentarily.

I'm not impressed with the way they're mounted, either.  Various wood screws, poorly installed.  I'd rather see bolts, washers, and t-nuts, if I can.

The A212 is in fantastic shape, and I've recently had is serviced by Aviator Audio in Edmonds, WA.  It was making crackling noises. 

Also, I ordered the SUNN Tolex from angela.com, but I've yet to find the wood screws I mentioned earlier.

Thanks, everyone.

Offline djc

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:50 am »
sunns construction is legendary, rugged.  if your speakers are screwed with various screws not bolted, could they have been replaced?  I don't have any Sunn cabs (Canada, hard to find, expensive to ship) I have Traynor.  everything is T-nuts.  I imagine Sunn was the same.
those with multiple sunn cabs (I'm envious) would know better.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:56:39 pm »
The A212 is in fantastic shape, and I've recently had is serviced by Aviator Audio in Edmonds, WA.  It was making crackling noises.

I'm curious as to what the culprit was. Tube arcing or something? My A212 just recently started making some crackling noises, and it's definitely the amp that's doing it ... not my pedals/cables. I know I'll have to take it in to get serviced, but I'm curious as to what the problem was and how much it cost you to get it fixed.

Offline thanser

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:58 am »
Regarding the muffled crackling sound I mentioned earlier, and you just asked about...

It wasn't tube arching, no. But Aviator Audio in Edmonds, WA spent a LOT of time with the chassis removed.  Here are some comments from an email sent to me:

"It turns out that the entire preamp pc board from one side to the other was contaminated with something that was not visible to the naked eye; you could see it only with high magnification. We ended up finding it by blowing with a straw across the pc board which induced moisture and made the substance conductive, thereby causing the amp to crackle.

My guess is the transition from your car to the house, a change in temperature in your house, or just enough ambient humidity in general was enough to get it going. For us here in the shop the only way we could get it going was the straw method, or letting it sit a couple hours in the other building where it’s colder than the main shop, and then bringing it back in were it would condensate enough to make noise.

Very long story short, we pulled the entire board and cleaned it, and decided while we were at it to hardwire a majority of the preamp connectors like we did in the output section for good measure and reliability. It’s been running solid over several cold/heat cycles and after today’s round we’re calling it done. Short of some pesky crackle or other sound rearing it’s ugly head, I would say it’s available starting tomorrow."

End of email excerpts.

As for the speakers in my A212, I'm hoping to find replacements soon, and bolt them in, not using wood screws.  Eminence for replacements?  Which model?  I'm looking for high-wattage speakers, so they don't break up easily.  I love this amp the way it is - loud and clean.

Tom Hanser