Author Topic: NON SHIELDED CABLE  (Read 2738 times)

Offline ROCKETBRO2

NON SHIELDED CABLE
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:03:15 pm »
I am curious if anyone knows why manufacturers recommend non shielded cables between the amp and speaker cabinet. I have used both and don't believe I have noticed a difference. I read it again in a manual the other day and I had to ask.
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: NON SHIELDED CABLE
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
   Hi There,please do not use signal,(coaxial) cables for speaker cables.They are not designed to handle high current or voltages from an output stage.The inner and outer wires are not the same,hence a different resistance for each wire,unlike line cord,zip cord or cab tire which have the same resistance per wire.If the cable gets pinched,it can short very easily,damaging the output stage of your amp,namely the output transformer.I know this to be true because as a young bassist,(21 in 76'),I took out the output tranny in my Ampeg V-4B by doing exactly this !! I also periodically check all my spkr. cables with a meter,just to be sure.Good luck,Mel.

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:47:41 am »
Thanks Mel, it seems that in the late 70's I tried the Ricko Sound on my 4001, but didn't get the stereo effect that I was looking for, by running a cable to the other side of the stage. No damage was done to my Concert Bass but it probably was because I didn't care for the effect and didn't use it more than a minute or two.

Offline Johnny Guitar

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:55 pm »
Hello Mel,
I'm curious about speaker wire that is sometimes used for installations that is 2 conductor speaker cable but it also has foil shield with a drain wire.  What is the shield for and when would you use it?
Thanks for your expertise!
Johnny G.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »
   Hi Johnny,the only time I've used that style on installs was when the spkr. wire was not run in a metal conduit,the foil and drain wire are used to contain the magnetic field,surface effect,Litz effect,whatever you want to call it,and connect it to a ground.You'll see this when the spkr. wires are run along with,or are bunched up with cables carrying other information,as mic lines,camera / video lines,intercom,etc. Mel.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:21 am »
Thanks Mel, it seems that in the late 70's I tried the Ricko Sound on my 4001, but didn't get the stereo effect that I was looking for, by running a cable to the other side of the stage. No damage was done to my Concert Bass but it probably was because I didn't care for the effect and didn't use it more than a minute or two.

Ric-O-Sound is a whole other matter. It splits the pickups from each other such that one pickup goes to one amp (or channel) and the other to a different amp. It is not clear from your post that this is what you did.
Isaac

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:40 pm »
I used an Ampeg head on top of my Concert Bass head and ran a stereo cord out of Ric-o-sound into each head to seperate the stereo effect. The cabinet on the other side of the stage was fed with a guitar cord from the Ampeg for about 5 minutes until i gave up. To this day I haven't used Ric-o-sound again and I still have the same output cord that is non-shielded.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »
Personally, I think the two rigs should be identical for a stereo effect. I found the effect interesting, though subtle. I doubt anyone else even noticed.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:33 am »
Personally, I think the two rigs should be identical for a stereo effect. I found the effect interesting, though subtle. I doubt anyone else even noticed.

I've played with Ric-O-Sound with a variety of Sunn rigs in the comfort of my shop; two 200S rigs, two 2000S rigs, a 200S on the neck and a 100S on the bridge, 200S neck and Sceptre bridge with a little reverb, etc., etc...
Great way to while away some time, but I agree with Isaac that it's so subtle that the incredible PITA involved with schlepping two complete rigs for a one night stand gig is hardly worth the effort.
It's kinda fun, but without roadies way too labor intensive for me in a gig setting, and even in the unlikely event that anyone besides myself does notice the effect, it's not like they really care.

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:31:04 am »
Ya, that was in the late 70's and I'm not doing that kind of physical stuff anymore either. Maybe that was the problem, the effect was too subtle and I was looking for that unique sound. I still loved the Ric through the 415M.