Author Topic: Wobbly Wobbly Tube Sockets on my 100S  (Read 1805 times)

Offline jerryjg

Wobbly Wobbly Tube Sockets on my 100S
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:09:00 pm »
Okay, so the whole pins move around in the socket badly. This would shorten tube life as the tube vibrates on the cabinet.

Has anyone ever replaced a Power tube socket on an old Sunn.  lalready bought some  old Amphenol sockets .

What is the exact procedure? Would I need to put the hchassis on a drill press , drill out the old sockets,, and mount the new ones with screws? Can it be done w/o the screws and with the retainer clips?

Also, has anyone had any success with reverse tensioning those ol tube pins, actually make them larger so they  contact the side of the socket better?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Wobbly Wobbly Tube Sockets on my 100S
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »
Those Amperex wavy washer sockets in the sloping panel Sunn amps are mounted in holes that have an anti-rotation tap in the sheet metal. You can't see it until you remove the socket. Once the tab is removed, you may be able to replace the socket without enlarging the hole, it will depend on the sockets you purchase. Naturally, you will need to drill holes for the socket mounting screws. Ceramic sockets are strongly suggested because they are less likely to arc.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:28:05 pm »
I think that there are ways to tighten the sockets. Haven't done it myself, but I've read about it.
Isaac

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:45:15 pm »
I think that there are ways to tighten the sockets. Haven't done it myself, but I've read about it.

Its not the pins that are loose around the tube, its the  pins that are loose inside the socket wobbling. The pins grab the tube fine.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:17:43 am »
I'm not following. Tubes have pins. Sockets don't. If a tube has wobbly pins, I'd say it's bad, and replace it. If the socket is loose, there are ways to tighten it. That will make the holes in the socket grab the pins of the tube more tightly.
Isaac