Author Topic: wierd question about impedance  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Tate Johnson

wierd question about impedance
« on: February 16, 2001, 02:04:00 pm »
I'm thinking about running two cabinets off of one amp. However, one is a 4-ohm cab and the other is an 8-ohm cab. I did the math and I think that the total impedance between the them is 3 ohms, correct me if I'm wrong. Most amps don't have a 3-ohm setting, so the only other option I have is to set an amp (like a Coliseum 880) to 2 ohms. I'm just making sure that it is OK to set the amp impedance LOWER than the total cabinet impedance. Will it work?

Offline slade

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2001, 09:53:00 am »
for our coliseum's, if the impedance total is 2 or greater you will be ok even at odd values. do not use impedance totals below 2.

what configueration are these cabs that you are using? how are they wired?

Offline Tate Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2001, 01:48:00 pm »
One is a coliseum bass 1-18 and the other, if I get one, would be a reissue Fender/Sunn model T 4x12 enclosure, which is the exact same dimensions (30x30x15). I don't know how they're wired.

Offline slade

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2001, 11:07:00 am »
nothing really you can do to the 18, it is what it is. the 4-12's can be wired series, paralellle or series paralelle. this will change the impedence load.

most 4-12' are wired S/P which produces a total impendence that is equal to the vaule of one speaker ( provided that all speakers are of the same value).  usually 8 or 16 ohms.

if the 4-12 has a speaker in and out you can chain the two cabs in series for a ( please get this double checked as it has been awhile ) 12 ohm load.