Author Topic: where can i get filter caps for an OLD Modelt(super) T? HELP  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Snake Plisken)))

any and all help is appreciated. my super T needs new filter caps. can anyone steer me in the right direction.

thanks in advance for the HELP

Gus

Offline elektron

caps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:11:41 pm »
Gus-- you can get capacitors at most electronic supply places... not sure what filter cap yours takes.  Higher voltage caps can be had at www.tubesandmore.com; www.vibroworld.com; wwww.hoffmanamps.com; www.tube-store.com; www.triodeelectronics.com... some multisection twist lock can caps can be harder to find in right values but for example vibroworld can make them up.  Check the values you need and voltage (check them against the schematic just in case someone replaced previously with under voltage part).  I assume you know how to discharge them and make the amp safe to work on???

Hope this helps.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
where can i get filter caps for an OLD Modelt(super) T? HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:38:32 pm »
For the two big ones use a Sprague Atom TVA1966, 20uF @ 600V. An exact fit, accept no substitutes. Expect to pay about $10 each. For the dual section cap I suggest the JJ 100/100 @ 500v. You'll need to install a clamp to hold it. The twist lock types that are available are just too expensive. Always use your standby switch to prevent the can cap from receiving excess voltage. If you turn on the standby before the tubes are warmed up, that cap could see about 550V for a few seconds. This will eventually cause it to fail.

Offline Snake Plisken)))

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 02:46:41 pm »
THANKS for the info... I really appreciate it!

Gus

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 05:48:12 am »
You can also have custom caps made. Ted Weber at Webervst custom makes 2, 3, and 4 section custom FP caps, and they are VERY well made. His only have 4 ground lugs.

Zack at Zack Engineering/Vibroworld makes 2, 3, and 4 section custom FP type caps in 3 and 4 ground lug configurations, and they are well made too.

The main problem with the Sunn stuff is the high voltages they use. Most caps nowadays are only rated for 450v max, so if you want to use them in a Sunn, you have to wire the caps up in series, and use 220k 1w resistors in parallel with each cap. This doubles the voltage rating, and havles the cap value. So for a can with two 20uf 450v caps, you would end up with 1 10uf 900v cap. There are cheaper ways to do this however, by using discrete 350v caps wired in series. Each cap is a couple bucks, as compared to $20 or so for the custom cans.

If you're interested in custom cap cans, check them out at the sites.

www.webervst.com
www.vibroworld.com