Author Topic: new coliseum bass - ohmage question/cab setup help  (Read 1620 times)

Offline SvenCalhoun

new coliseum bass - ohmage question/cab setup help
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:00:14 pm »
Hey ya'll.

I just got an early 80s coliseum bass head. It says that it's 200 watts @4ohms and 300 watts @2ohms. What I'm trying to do is run it with an ampeg 8x10, but still get the full 300 watts out of it. Is it possible to go out of each speaker out on the head into the cab in stereo and thus be splitting the cab into two 4x10s? Would this handle everything? Is there a problem with under powering the speakers?

I know of people doing this with two separate cabs to get the full 300 watts, but I'm trying to do it with just the one 8x10.

Thanks a bunch.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: new coliseum bass - ohmage question/cab setup help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:36 am »
I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Is the idea that running two cords from the amp to the speaker cabinet will somehow change the impedance? If so, forget it. Is the cab wired for "stereo"? If so, then powering both sections of the cabinet will get you more power than powering only one.

So, what are we looking at here? Mono amp, mono speaker cabinet? "Stereo" cabinet? What impedance is the cabinet or its sections?
Isaac

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:25:52 pm »
It sounds like he's just rewiring the 8x10 to output each 4x10 seperately at 4 ohms each.

The Coliseum bass doesn't need to run at 2 ohms to sound enormous man. It sounds heavy with one SVT cab. I've played out of them I know.
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline SvenCalhoun

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:13:18 pm »
The ampeg 8x10 can be run in stereo. Like you can run two separate heads into the one cab and one will come out of the bottom 4 10s and the other out of the top. What I'm trying to do is run the Coliseum into the cab this way and thus sort of trick the head into thinking it's going into two cabs and running at full mighty output. The ampeg is a 4 ohm cab.

Yea, it does sound huge just run straight, but I'm wanting to know what the full capabilities are it cos we play REALLY loud and I want as much head room as possible.

Thanks.

sven

Offline Johann

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »
the 8x10 is a 4 ohm cab, but when you split it into halves it becomes two 8 ohm cabs and you're back at square one.

my advice would be to just leave it be, running the old solid state heads at 2 ohms anyway isn't the safest thing to do, you could burn it up.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:10 am »
Sven, you can't 'trick' an amp. It's going to see whatever load is there, regardless. I strongly doubt you'd hear the difference between 200 watts and 300 watts, anyway.
Isaac