Author Topic: T50C tech problems - help!  (Read 2184 times)

Offline terminal

T50C tech problems - help!
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:07:19 am »
I'm seeking any help I can get in understanding a problem that I am having with my Sunn T50C combo amp. Recently the master gain control on channel 2 started to malfunction, as in - static, break up and volume jumping up and down when the
knob was turned. I took it to a tech and got it back in worse condition. He replaced the troubled pot, but gave it back to me with all 3 tone controls on channel 1 and both input controls on the loop now behaving the same way. He told me that all of the eq controls on channel 1 are defective and that there is nothing that can be done, as all of those parts are now obsolete. However,  he DID fix the channel 2 gain that had the same issue...? I took the amp right back to him and he then DID fix the loop input controls but, still, did not fix the channel 1 eq controls. Again, he told me that there is absolutely no way to fix the eq control pots on channel 1, as the parts are obsolete. I'm dumbfounded. Does anyone have any insight into this? Can this be true that there is no chance for repair? I really don't trust what this guy is saying and am looking for anyone anywhere that can give me some insight.
Thanks so much for any response,
Dave
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:24:53 pm by terminal »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: T50C tech problems - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:32 pm »
Is the guy you took the amp to an authorized Fender repair person? About the only way to get original parts is to order them from Fender.

Offline terminal

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:06:20 pm »
Yes, he is listed on the Fender site as authorized repair. It's just hard to believe that there is no solution to a bad pot...?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
A guy on the Talk Bass forum got a pot for a 1200S (by Fender) and a knob with no problem.

Offline terminal

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »
Ahh... are the 1200S Fender controls the same as the Sunn T50C controls?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:00:30 pm »
The parts numbers aren't the same. The T50C has common parts with the Sunn (by Fender) 300T also know as Bassman 300, and the Sunn (by Fender) Model T (100W).

Offline rdelaplaza

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:35:10 pm »
It sounds like the ages old noisy pot problem, potentiometers are basically a strip of a carbon like material, forming a resistive track, "painted" in a piece of phenolic board with a sliding contact that rides the resistive track from end to end, that resistive track, can be straight or circular, then you have the straight slider pot or the regular turning knob pot.

When the resistive track gets dirt or dust from use, the contact point with the slider becomes erratic and then you get those simptoms, noise when you adjust the pot or little spots were it even loses contact with the resistive track.

A.- There are several ways of fixing that, if the problem isn't too bad you may try working the pot back and forth several (actually like 20 or 30 times) doing this the slider usually cleans its own path and returns to normal, at least for a while,

B.- Then there is the next level, which is a can of electric contact cleaner, to (try) to fix the pot you have to : 1st.- DISCONNECT THE POWER,
Then open the amp, and locate the dirty pot, then you will see where the 3 contacts connect the thing to the amp circuit, just above the contacts there is usually (in case the pot is not a sealed unit) a slot were you will spray the cleaner and work the pot back and forth to loosen the dirt and leave a clean track,

C.- in case that you find a high quality sealed pot the only solution will be to replace the pot with a new one. there has been cases were the old pot can be removed and opened very carefully, then cleaned with high quality isopropyl alcohol, WARNING : do not use cheap isopropyl alcohol, I mean the 70% type, in which the other 30 % is water, your pot may not like it, try to use at least 90 %, or 99% even better.

The only problem with this could be that you may need to be proficient with a soldering iron, and that to reach some pots some REALLY serious disassembly may be required.

The disassembly procedure can be applied to almost any type of potentiometer, there is a catch, the alcohol will dilute and probably remove the original lubricant in the pot axle, so after this procedure you may need to lubricate the pot, applying a q-tip soaked but not dripping with a little sae 40 W motor oil, were the axle goes into the pot at the exterior of the case, it will absorb enough oil by capillarity to get the needed lubrication, DON'T overdo the oil thing, be very sparse and wipe the excess.

If you decide to go the replacement way, let me tell you that NONE the amplifier manufacturers, use custom made potentiometers in their amps, its actually the other way around, they use off-the-shelf standard components to keep costs down, so being an electronic engineer for many years, I can help you to locate the right component, or a standard sized similar replacement component.

All that is needed is all the numbers you can gather from the part itself, AND usually a few good pictures of the part. sometimes if there are no references in the part, it can be measured with a ohm meter, and the size to get a mechanical fit in the space available.

Let me know.

Offline terminal

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 08:22:54 am »
Iit seems to me that the tech I had look at this is not being truthful with me. From what I am reading from you all, the parts can be obtained. I suspect he sprayed something in the pots that actually caused the symptoms (they were fine before I took this amp to him), and he doesn't want to take the time to fix it so he is telling me the parts are obsolete.