Author Topic: Why don't you see Vintage Sunn Full stacks?  (Read 5869 times)

Offline jerryjg

Why don't you see Vintage Sunn Full stacks?
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:53:59 am »
I guess the fact that theres no casters/ and no caster cups on top of the old sunn 4x12's, or that they are all straight not slant cabs?
They are also deeper than a marshall cabinet. Not sure how two 4x12 Sunns would look or work stacked with a 100S head on top. The head moves around as it is on top of the slick 4x12 cabinet. Hate to think of it falling off a  stack.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:35:20 am by jerryjg »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Why don't you see Vintage Sunn Full stacks?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:30:03 pm »
Well, at least part of the reason that you don't see old Sunn's stacked conventionally is probably that the stack would be 7' 8" tall with casters.
The average person would need a step ladder to fiddle with knobs or plug into it!
The guys that did stack them vertically (Pappalardi, Redding come to mind) made an "amp sandwich" with the head between the speaker cabs., or went sideways like Entwistle. However, I think most put the side by side like Hendrix (and as pictured in the brochures).

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:48:17 am »
You can stack all sorts of things! how about my 12x12 configuration? :p
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:09:03 pm »
Such cool pictures in this thread so far.  I wish the 12x12 wasn't so dark and more clear.  Still awesome though.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:15:47 am »
I'll get more photos of it soon, I snapped that one really quickly in my space, and my flash was sort of messed up.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:29:48 am »
I guess the fact that theres no casters/ and no caster cups on top of the old sunn 4x12's, or that they are all straight not slant cabs?
They are also deeper than a marshall cabinet. Not sure how two 4x12 Sunns would look or work stacked with a 100S head on top. The head moves around as it is on top of the slick 4x12 cabinet. Hate to think of it falling off a  stack.

From the archive. You stacked 'em with the wheels to the side. Stable enough, though you had to mind your cables -- unless a drunken dancer somes careening into your rig!

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 03:06:30 pm »
Notice the casters are to the side yet the Logo Plate is horizontal.
Did the cabs come that way or did someone add the casters to it or move them so they could be stacked that way?

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
The Coliseum's 118 grills pop out easily so you can situate them however you like.

Also, after finding a mint early '70s 115 (with Vega speaker) I stacked it on my Sorado just for grins.  'Way too tall to be practical ... it was tough to lift the head that high!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:21:03 pm »
Second picture is a monster.  Gave me a good laugh of curiosity after the  :-o wore off.

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »

That looks fur reeking awesome!
I think it would work actually,. Ive got one of those cabinets , and I think the thing to do is replace the plastic feet on the amp and the top speaker cabinet ( keep them to preserve value yada yada) with good quality rubber feet that *might* grip that tolex better, but that original 60's Sunn tolex is  some slick stuff..i think the head still would tend to slide. The slick tolex and the plastic feet is laughable. Maybe thats why Jimi got Pissed off at Sunn?
Yeah, I bet its tall. I wouldnt mind too much keeping a step stool in front of the amp.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:31:34 am »
A couple thin, rubber mats (like the gizmos for helping to grip tough to open jar lids) under the feet keeps them from going anywhere.
A couple strips of cheap, rubber backed carpet will do the trick pretty well too.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 07:01:12 am »
The Sunn cabinets I've seen over the years all have had rubber feet on one side; are you sure yours didn't have some at one time?
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline mc2

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:51:50 am »
It isn't only vintage SUNN. I think it was more of a phenomenon of the late '60s-early 70s era and the common larger speakers cabs, lack of hi-tech front of house PA systems...that had many U.S. players using wide speakers "stacks" or layed down "sandwich" stacks. You needed louder stage volumes to make up for the unsophisticated PA systems/practices of the time, plus the instrument speaker cabs often were not the now common 4x12 ones that stack nicely.

Especially with the most powerful bass cabs of that era...SUNN 2000S, AMPEG SVT810, the larger Acoustic, Fender and Orange cabs....NONE really stackable on top of each other upright and still useful. Same for the early large guitar cabs of equal size, until most fell into the British 4x12 formats eventually.

Here is another perfect example....Orange Matamp 2x15 cabs from 1968 that were John McVie's from the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac era thru the early 70s. You can see in live YouTube clips that he stacked a pair of these side by side early one. Then McVie added two more, as they began playing larger venues and he changed them to layed down "sandwich" stacks.

I bought these from the second owner recently, who'd bought them in a "Fleetwood Mac Garage Sale" in the mid-80s out near Los Angeles at the band's storage facility. He said there were indeed FOUR of these for sale but he could only afford two. They actually came with the flight cases with the Fleetwood Mac logo but he tossed them for lack of space over the years (these cabs are big like a 2000S cab but actually more like a Fender Dual Showman...only 12-inches deep.)  They sound fantastic and very unique. I had a couple friends out in Hollywood go check them out for me (I'm in NY)...both guys are pro bassists in bands you'd know. When they called me back after demo-ing the cabs, they said that they sounded so unique that they were thinking of having them sampled to use for recording sessions.

BTW....Some SUNN trivia from this deal. The guy I got them from also still had a Fleetwood Mac roadcase to some sort of 2x12 size combo amp or cabinet....AND A SUNN 2x12 cab stenciled with "PARIS," which was Fleetwood Mac guitarist from the early-mid 70s Bob Welsh's side band. So, I guess we add Fleetwood Mac to the SUNN users list.

Here is a composite pic of the cabs and the various components for any techies. These were custom made for McVie, so only four were ever made in this config. :)

McVie and Entwistle were two of my biggest bass influences, so finding these was a major score. I owned my SUNN 2000S rig before I ever realized that Entwistle was a SUNN player, so I thought it was great that my ears had picked out the sound before my eyes did. I later sold Entwistle my white '63 Fender Bass VI in the mid-80s that he kept until he passed away (and Sothebys auctioned off.).

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
I got a picture of my rig with the flash!  Check it!
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T