Author Topic: 1200s + 200s = crash  (Read 1270 times)

Anonymous

1200s + 200s = crash
« on: September 25, 2003, 05:56:56 pm »
greetings
i played through a 1200s cabinet with my 200s head (rca 6550s, garage sale special) and it sounded good, not great, for guitar (sabbath inspired gloom and doom) for about an hour until things got really quiet. I checked my volume knob on the guitar, ok. Kept getting quieter, then, nothing. Please tell me that I didn't cook the speakers in that cab as well as the head. The fuse was SHATTERED and stuck pretty well in there. I'm hoping to get the head serviced here in Seattle, and I'll probably put in KT88's for more low end girth and that original vibe. I have yet to play bass through the head, and will more than likely keep pushing guitar through it unless a special recording need comes up. I opt for more power for bass. Any suggestions?        Thank you.      Fafnir
p.s. one of the speakers in the cab was a bit farty before, now it's BLAAAT,
5 sunn coliseums and 1 fender (?) what do I need to do?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
1200s + 200s = crash
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 11:23:27 am »
Doesn't sound promising. Unlikely that you "cooked" the speakers with that head, but that doesn't mean that the driver isn't cooked anyway. Things get old, they sometimes go bad.

First, replace the fuse with the proper size. If it blows again, get it to a tech. If it doesn't, but the amp doesn't perform properly, get it to a tech.

The drivers need to be checked. Try playing through them at very low levels, with your ear close to the diaphragm. If the voice coil is rubbing, you should be able to hear it that way. If so, you'll need to get it reconed, or replace it. What is/are the driver(s) in the 1200S cabinet? JBL? D series? Not cheap, either way. There are cheaper drivers available that might sould okay, but not the same.

Good luck.
Isaac

Anonymous

1200s + 200s = crash
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 02:07:15 pm »
I've talked to several techs 'round here, and the consensus is that I was unfortunate enough to be playing when that speaker gave up the ghost (like you said, things get old), THEN- I was only hearing the five good speakers, but the cab's impedence had then dropped to around 3 ohms, I was going through my 4 ohm output. Playing loud for the next hour or hour and a half caused my amp to overwork and die. I'll get that fuse out, and you're probably right about it being the wrong type. Lessons learned. I'll never again hook up a used amp without getting it tech- checked first. And I should add that I'll not use another cab with a farty speaker. I feel dumb, but this will all work out.           -fafnir