Author Topic: Sunn 610s -- Rewiring for Impedance  (Read 1641 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Sunn 610s -- Rewiring for Impedance
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:23:59 am »
Hi all,

I have an ancient, well worn 610s. Apart from the odd 6ohm impedance, the cab desperately needs new speakers, and I'm planning on having them replaced. Just so I have some knowledge before speaking with a repair tech, can anyone give me some advice as to how to end up with a more workable ohmage like 8 or 16? That is, what ohmage should I look for in my replacement speakers? What wiring should I expect?

Ideally, I'll be using my Model T reissue and a Sunn 4x12 reissue in combination with the 610s, but the 16ohm and 6ohm combination worries me.

Thanks in advance, folks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-James

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: Sunn 610s -- Rewiring for Impedance
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:10:17 pm »
I have two 612s cabinets, and I generally just run the 8ohm tap into the single cabinet so it's not going to drive the cabinet too hard.  If I'm running both, I run them parallel at 4ohms, giving me 3ohms of cabinet-y goodness.

It's a weird rating, but as I was told, as long as you're not running the amp at full for hours on end, you should be okay,

As far as re-wiring them, I really don't know what to say.  You possibly wire four speakers and then two speakers, to their own outputs?

(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline Wally

Re: Sunn 610s -- Rewiring for Impedance
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:22 pm »
IF you measure an '8 ohm' speaker with an ohmmeter, you will usually read something in the 6.3-6.7 ohm range. Two 8 ohms in parallel will measure around 3.2 ohms. A 16 ohm speaker measures about 13.8 ohms usually, and two of them in parallel will measure in the high 6 ohms range.
My 6X12 with original 8 ohm Eminence speakers measures 5.8 when wired up, and I run it on the 8 ohm jack. Imho, your old cab is 'proper' into the 8 ohm jack if it yields a 6 ohms measurement with an ohmmeter.