Author Topic: What's a Red Knob Model T Worth?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline tbelling

What's a Red Knob Model T Worth?
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »
I have the opportunity to buy a Red Knob Model T with a 2X15 JBL Cabinet. I've heard that the Red knobs weren't as good as the older models and I don't want to get screwed on a crappy amp. Any Idea what this combo would be worth? He wants 900 for all of it. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: What's a Red Knob Model T Worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
Sounds like a bad deal.  You should just forward his info to me, so I can let him know.  Not because that's a pretty sweet deal, because it's not.  Nope.  You should probably just back away, and save your money for uhh, buying the Beta Lead I'm selling.

I have the opportunity to buy a Red Knob Model T with a 2X15 JBL Cabinet. I've heard that the Red knobs weren't as good as the older models and I don't want to get screwed on a crappy amp. Any Idea what this combo would be worth? He wants 900 for all of it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:42:48 am »
Red knob or 2nd gen Model T's are better for bass players looking for more of an Ampeg like sound. 1st gen are better for guitar and more aggressive bass tone. There are exceptions. If you look on ebay you'll see many Model T's go for over $1K with no speaker cab. Be aware that most Model T's are in need some serious maintainence that will probably run over $300 for new tubes and a cap job.

Offline cromag

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:30 pm »
i want a first gen.  like we all do.   but, i do have a second gen and i can say, i can get some real gnarly grinding tones out of that amp.  which i like very much.  so as desirable as the first is over the second gen models...  i think the second is fantastic in it's own right.   yes, buy that up.