Author Topic: An odd 2x15 cab...is it Sunn?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline jaywalker

An odd 2x15 cab...is it Sunn?
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:41 am »
Receipt from the early seventies says the guy I got it from traded in his 1x15 Sound City cab for this Sunn 2x15 which IIRC was said to be a used cab (not sure about the "used" part. I'll have to dig out the reciept). He gave me the cab when I bought the Sound City B150 head. Note the unusual construction. A lot has been done to this poor cab over the years so ignore that stuff.

cross brace was cut so larger magnet replacement speaker would insert from rear.

note one piece panel with cross brace fits into routed area in side panels. appears to be 3/16" thick, possibly single ply screwed to brace and baffle.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:04:17 am by jaywalker »

Offline jaywalker

Re: An odd 2x15 cab...is it Sunn?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:34 am »
Waddaya think? Maybe an early style construction? I've since pulled the nasty carpet off and some of the wood looks iffy...rotted or worse on the back edge...maybe headed for the trash heap. Maybe I'll fill in with bondo. Maybe I'll forget the whole project and just build a 415M to house these;

impedance 8 Ohms, power rating 80 RMS Watts, part number (Sunn) 81-0145
Eminence speakers...ain't they purdy?

two of these same type black frames came with the cab

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:33:36 am »
Just for giggles here are the SC head and my Model T posing nude

and another shot on a 4x12 with a '57 Fender that came out of the woodwork. I had just re-capped and serviced the T

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:58:15 am by jaywalker »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32:08 am »
The cabinet was not made by Sunn. The ports are wrong and the screw pattern on the back is wrong. The speakers don't look right, the stickers look like they were pealed off and stuck on the back.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:10 am »
Looks to me like it's not a Sunn. Rather, it looks like a takeoff on a 200S cabinet. If it was originally a 200S, it's been changed a bit. The guides  for the port in a 200S were straight, not curved, and I think they were routed into the side walls. This cabinet shows no straight routes. I think I see particle board in the photos. As far as I know, Sunn did not use particle board for anything in those days.
Isaac

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:47 pm »
Definately not original speakers to this cab. No particle board in this cab and obviously the port guides are in a curved route in the sides...never been straight which seems like it would be much more work to pull off. That is the main difference and is why I thought it could be an earlier design that was abandoned. Outer dimensions are good. It has a non original back so the screw holes are all goofed up. Oh well, this is probably headed for the scrap heap in favor of a modern cab. I was just curious. A friend leans toward this being an Ampeg but I don't see that.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »
The cabinet was not made by Sunn. The ports are wrong and the screw pattern on the back is wrong. The speakers don't look right, the stickers look like they were pealed off and stuck on the back.

What are OD measurements? That might settle it real quickly, but I have to say I think it's a moot point; loudthud is spot on.
Those look to be AlNiCo motors on those purple drivers, and I'm about 99.95% sure that all of the “Magna” series speakers had ceramic magnets, and that the only AlNiCo Sunn drivers were in the “Sunn Transducer” series

Looks to me like it's not a Sunn. Rather, it looks like a takeoff on a 200S cabinet. If it was originally a 200S, it's been changed a bit. The guides  for the port in a 200S were straight, not curved, and I think they were routed into the side walls. This cabinet shows no straight routes. I think I see particle board in the photos. As far as I know, Sunn did not use particle board for anything in those days.

Ditto. Of course that doesn't mean it won't sound good with those drivers.

On a side note; that “Sounds Shitty” (a term of endearment, not a slam :wink:) is a very cool amp indeed. I'm partial to a quad of KT88's/6550's in my amps, and that ones a classic that I'd really love to have in my stable.

On another side note; I don't think that's a ’57 P. IIRC, the ’57 had the Stratocaster headstock as opposed to the Tele headstock on the one pictured, the same pickguard (only gold anodized) and PU configuration as the P do currently.

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:09 pm »
outer dimensions are 40h x 24w x 16d  it's in my storage so I'll double check soon 'cause I see another discrepancy in the depth.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
Yup. Sunns are only 15" deep.
Isaac

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:48 am »

On another side note; I don't think that's a ’57 P. IIRC, the ’57 had the Stratocaster headstock as opposed to the Tele headstock on the one pictured, the same pickguard (only gold anodized) and PU configuration as the P do currently.

I may be wrong, but I do believe both version were made that year, with the last of the old stock being finished up and the new MkIII version of the P-Bass being announced in June of 1957.

My source:
http://books.google.com/books?id=4UYae_hOlHIC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=57+precision+bass+changes&source=bl&ots=kPCp8liVyo&sig=zRvpIUB83uO5BN21HL9QX6HEfOo&hl=en&ei=MjuvTNvAKoSosQO9pPi7Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=57%20precision%20bass%20changes&f=false
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:58 am »

I may be wrong, but I do believe both version were made that year, with the last of the old stock being finished up and the new MkIII version of the P-Bass being announced in June of 1957.

I'm no vintage Fender guru, but that makes sense to me. Also, as with most manufacturers I don't think Fender would just scrap all of the old style parts in January 1957 and only produce the new models going forward. I would imagine they would continue to produce the old style until the parts ran out, and that the June '57 announcement date would back that theory up.
It's different now, Fender has become like the car makers; The new "American Standard" line were marketed as 2008 models, but I have an American Standard P with a 2007 serial number.

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »
Just a follow up/ post mortem. I did measure the old cab (16" D) and did an autopsy with a wrecking bar...it was very well made using professional techniques but had seen it's day...r.i.p. in the landfill.
Concerning the p-bass I was going from memory so I'm off a bit. I do remember that the serial number started with a "-" and it sold for a very nice price to a pro player. Book at that time was 20k..it sold for 15k on the bay.
The purple Eminence speakers came out of a 215M cab that I am helping to restore and no, the sticker does not appear to have been removed at any time. (they are being replaced with Emi lites). It is curled up and a little frayed from around the curved portion of the magnet structure. I am thinking that Sunn wouldn't be the first manufacturer that ever had to use another source in a pinch (as I have done many times over the past 32 years in business) kinda like finding Sunn labeled Jensen speaks. Another oddity is that the cabinet label states that the 215M cab is rated for 220w which is what the 415M is rated for according to the catalog specs. 160w as stated in the catalog section for a 215M would be correct with two 80w speaks.
I'll be measuring out the 215M for a future build but for now I setting my sights on a 415M build (thanks to Jeff Troy)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:25:50 pm by jaywalker »