Author Topic: Beta Lead 4X10 Combo; Removable Head  (Read 5472 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Beta Lead 4X10 Combo; Removable Head
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:53 am »
I putting up my late 70's or early 80's Sunn Beta Lead 100 watt 4X10 Combo here on the Sunn site before it goes to eBay. Fully functional, all the original knobs, all the red inserts in place, with a factory footswitch.

I’m a tube guy AND a bass player; I got it in trade in a multi piece deal 3 yrs ago and will never use it. It’s been at a buddy’s studio but didn’t get used there either, so it needs to go!

Less than 3 hrs. (a very generous estimate) playing time since (3/25/06) gone through by my tech and brought to "as new" spec., a couple of new matched transistors, some caps replaced.

Four original 10" Sunn AlNiCo speakers, very solid original cones with one issue; the right side speaker cones were creased/dented, probably by the footswitch during transport. There is no penetration through the cones, so I straightened them out and reinforced the areas with latex sealer. Shouldn't affect the integrity of the cones, since as I said, NO actual penetration, and the very low mass of the latex should have little or no effect on the tone. (see pics)

There is also a piezo tweeter placed dead center in the baffle, but I'm not very familiar with solid state gear and I can't explain why it's there. I think it's a factory tweeter; I'm just not sure why they needed it.
The tolex is in excellent condition for its age, with one noticeable flaw, a 1/2" ding down to the wood (see pic). Besides this, other than a few minor scuffs, a couple of cracks in the handle, the cabinet is in great condition, very clean.

As I said, I wanted to give the TRUE Sunn-o-philes a shot at it first, but I think I can get close to $500 on the bay, one without a footswitch recently sold for $475, and a craigslister just got $500 for his.

I’ll sell it for $450 plus actual shipping costs.

I’ll also entertain trade offers, but I’m pretty picky and as I said very “tube” oriented. Any questions or offers please PM.

Offline Viking Sonne

Re: Beta Lead 4X10 Combo; Removable Head
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »
Say it ain't so Ed !  :x  I really like mine, but everything I own is for sale.  :-D
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." ~ John Wooden ~

Offline Hai-Yah!

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:49:11 pm »
Hi EdBass,

So ah, is the beta still available?

Thanks

Brian

Offline Elvis Martini

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:11:20 pm »
Hi EdBass,

So ah, is the beta still available?

Thanks

Brian

Hey Man,
   I have one for sale, but only the first channel works.  Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Jeff