Author Topic: Cabinet for concert bass stoner/doom  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Ramm

Cabinet for concert bass stoner/doom
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:28 pm »
Hi.
I just bought a sunn concert bass and I want to play the guitar on it. I play stoner / doom, could someone recommend me a cabinet? What will be better, guitar or bass cabinet?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabinet for concert bass stoner/doom
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:37:55 pm »
Is your goal to be as loud as possible? If so, the more cabs the merrier. I don't think guitar or bass cabs really matter, look for cabs with drivers as sensitive as possible. Also,  I don't think the Concert is stable below 4 ohms, so be careful with your combined impedance.

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:47 pm »
Mine came with a warning sticker against going less than 4 ohms, or the head would overheat and shut off.  I have to say, as a guitar amp it would be plenty loud with the 215 cabinet, especially since it has the "distort" feature.  The sound may not be all that pleasing to you, but it would be loud. As a bass amp, it left me less than satisfied, tone-wise.  Also, my  '74 silverface could not compete with a Marshall half stack, which really p*ssed me off.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:26:11 am »
Musings, which may or may not be applicable.

Guitar speakers are almost always louder than bass speakers, except in the lowest register. It's basic acoustics: it takes more energy to move air at low frequencies than at higher frequencies, so guitar speakers, and many guitar amps, simply don't bother. In addition, human hearing is most sensitive around 1-2KHz, so a lot of guitar speakers are optimized to have their greatest output there. That makes them sound louder, even if they're not.

I'm not familiar with the stoner/doom genre, so I don't know what kind of sound you're going for. Maybe bass speakers are more likely to get you that sound, but I doubt it.

More speakers usually gets you more volume faster than more power.  The silver face Concert amps were stable only down to 4 ohms. The black face models claimed stability down to 2 ohms, but I have read knowledgeable people saying that the circuit topology doesn't support that, so I wouldn't trust it at 2 ohms. So, if I wanted more volume, I'd try to use two 8 ohm cabinets or as many as four 16 ohm cabinets, depending on what I had available and could transport.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:28:50 pm »
Some stoner/doom players tune their guitars down to C so ordinary guitar speakers might not be up to the task. A pair of 4x12 cabinets might not be enough. It might take four of 'em.