Author Topic: When was my Sunn Amplifier made.  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Jackster

When was my Sunn Amplifier made.
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:36:04 pm »
I have an old Sunn Bass Head (I have the cabinet too) and I was curious how old. It was sort of left to me by a relative. It has no model number that I can find and the front simply says Sunn Electronics Inc. The serial number is 031029.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: When was my Sunn Amplifier made.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:58 pm »
If you post a picture, someone can probably ID it for you and get within a few years of it's age. From what you've posted, it's from sometime between 1965 and 2002, is either tube or transistor, and is between 40 and 300 watts.  :roll:

Seriously though, put up a pic and you should be able to get a good idea of it's history, specs, etc.
If it says "Sunn Electronics Inc." with no model name, it's probably pretty old.

Offline Jackster

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:04:31 pm »
Here is a picture, I have a matching cabinet also.

Offline Jackster

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:06:57 pm »
Here is another pic.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:31:28 pm »
I think it's an early 70's Concert Bass. It looks like somebody has "modified" the front panel, that scripted engraved name placard is no Sunn logo I've ever seen, I'd say someone made it and stuck it on there.. It should look similar to this;
http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/concbass/

Offline Jackster

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 08:55:24 am »
You are probably right. Everything looks the same on the back but the front is different. I am tempted to pry the Sunn Electronics plate off to see what is underneath it, if anything. The cabinet does have the Sunn Logo on the front and it has 2 15" speakers on top of each other with a slanted port on the the side. Thanks for your help. Do you know what their value would be? They have been here for a long time and the last time I used them they seemed to work perfectly.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:22 pm »
You are probably right. Everything looks the same on the back but the front is different. I am tempted to pry the Sunn Electronics plate off to see what is underneath it, if anything. The cabinet does have the Sunn Logo on the front and it has 2 15" speakers on top of each other with a slanted port on the the side. Thanks for your help. Do you know what their value would be? They have been here for a long time and the last time I used them they seemed to work perfectly.

I'm pretty sure it's early 70's. what's sometimes called a "silverface" concert bass. Sounds like the cabinet is a 215S. If so, it could have a number of different drivers in it, possibly Cervin Vegas, maybe even JBL's.
It's worth whatever somebody is willing to shell out for it. Check completed auctions on eBay.