Author Topic: alpha speaker wiring  (Read 2013 times)

Offline JDProvorse

alpha speaker wiring
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:43:38 am »
ok, so I was dinking around with my alpha 112p the other day, just opening it up to see what's under the hood (I love to tinker, what can I say?).  Anyway, I managed to disconnect the speaker wiring without bothering to note which wire went where, and no I'm afraid I'm gonna screw something up if I don't wire it back together correctly.  I've got a green wire, a black wire, and a white wire coming out of the amp.  I've got three terminals on the back of the speaker: one on the bottom, two on the top, and one of the ones on top has a little red sticker next to it, I would assume to denote positive from negative.  so, can anyone help me make sure I hook this thing back up correctly?  I'll owe ya one, thanks!

rick.heil

Re: alpha speaker wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:47 am »
green, black, and white sounds more like a power cord than speakers....what are the wires coming out of?

Offline Don T

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:35:14 am »
Hello,
Assuming that you are talking about the speaker wires;
white = positive > terminal w/red dot
black = negative > terminal next to the one with the dot (on the insulated board, connected to tinsel wire)
green = ground > speaker frame (to prevent feedback to the reverb)

Don T
It's the ear not the gear.

Offline JDProvorse

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:01:36 am »
thanks Don!

green, black, and white sounds more like a power cord than speakers....what are the wires coming out of?
They come off the amp board and into the speaker cabinet.  I know they're speaker wires because they're the same wires I disconnected from the back of the speaker, and they're the only wires in the speaker cabinet.  :wink: I just forgot to diagram which one went to which post.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 08:41:33 am »
Hello,
Assuming that you are talking about the speaker wires;
white = positive > terminal w/red dot
black = negative > terminal next to the one with the dot (on the insulated board, connected to tinsel wire)
green = ground > speaker frame (to prevent feedback to the reverb)

Don T

Hey Don T!!

How does grounding the speaker frame prevent feedback to the reverb?

I have another amp, the only one I have with grounded speaker frames.  On the power amp schematic, it does state that the speaker frames must be grounded, but it doesn't state why.  I haven't been able to figure out a reason for it.

BTW - the reverb tank is mounted to the side of the speaker section of the enclosure.

Thanks for any info

Offline Don T

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:35:55 am »
Hey Joe,
I haven't been around for a while, although SoundmasterG can always get ahold of me. Speaker baskets are gounded for 2 reasons that I know of.
1. To help shield the reverb pan from screeching.
2. To stop high gain microphonic input circuits from screeching / oscillating.

A friend of mine brought his Matchless amp by because of that very problem. Once the speaker was grounded it was back to ity's old smooth self.
It's the ear not the gear.